PDA

View Full Version : Weird stuff in my tank, looks like purple dog poo

timistim
01/13/2011, 08:07 PM
Just like the title says, weird stuff has started to grow in my tank that looks like very small dark purple dog poop. They are very hard as well, like rocks almost. Is this something I should be worried about? I would post a pic but they are too small to come out clearly on my iphone. thanks in advance for teh help.

SushiGirl
01/13/2011, 08:17 PM
Vermetid snails.

Kweli
01/14/2011, 08:33 AM
Start removing them NOW before they become uncontrollable

Or leave them, as some people dont mind them

dublo8
01/14/2011, 01:25 PM
if it's vermatid. they are annoying as all heck. They spew white stringy stuff all over your tank. I hate them hate them hate them. They grow on my snails, my sps, my rocks etc. take em down! burn em! whatever gets rid of them. as you can tell i dislike them very much.

username in use
01/14/2011, 02:28 PM
They are part of a natural reef and in my opinion add to a tank as it creates yet another layer of the chain.

Hoolagan
01/14/2011, 04:44 PM
I hate these snails. They wouldnt be so bad if they didnt have the mucus string that gathers stuff when you stir the sand. I take a stick and break the base exposing the snails insides and my cleaner shrimp loves to eat these.

Angel*Fish
01/14/2011, 08:16 PM
They are part of a natural reef and in my opinion add to a tank as it creates yet another layer of the chain.I agree. I guess if they are taking over my tank I wouldn't appreciate them so much. But generally they are something to let be in my opinion. I believe hermits crabs will eat them, but I don't put hermits in my tank.

SushiGirl
01/14/2011, 10:06 PM
If you don't overfeed, they'd don't overpopulate...

MandM
01/14/2011, 10:23 PM
I leave them alone as well, unless they are around my clams or bothering a coral. The little buggers are really sharp and will poke you if you move rocks around, even with gloves. The scratches and pokes get infected so wash your hands well with very warm water and soap after messing around in the tank.