PDA

View Full Version : another PBT wish

celamb89
01/13/2011, 10:11 PM
Yellooow everyone!

so i was at the LFS the other day and they have a PBT that has been there for 2 weeks, it eats like crazy and has no itch :thumbsup:
i was there with my sister and she looved the fish, naturally... I would like to bring it home but dont want it to be all stressed out and sad :S

My tank measures 5ft x 23inches x 23inches... other tankmates would be:

1sixline wrasse
2 ocellaris
1 scribbled rabbitfish
1 orangeshoulder (purchased at 2.5inches and i know i will have to sell it sometime, right now its happy, eating and swimming :) )
Diamond goby in the near future

that would pretty much be all the livestock i would like to have, so what do u guys think?

thanks for the input!

geaux xman
01/14/2011, 02:32 AM
if you like it, get it. just make sure you follow a thorough QT process before putting it in the DT.

celamb89
01/14/2011, 03:19 AM
niceee :)

I was kind of thinking to skip the QT since it has already been 2 weeks in the LFS eating and with no ich... i know that PB tangs are magnets to ich and this was a reason i didnt want to get one in the first place but do u think its necessary to put it in the QT.. i have a 90Liter tank that is not in use and could get it running i guess...

snorvich
01/14/2011, 08:39 AM
Your LFS is not quarantining the fish which shares water with every other fish in the same system.

MrTuskfish
01/14/2011, 10:43 AM
Your LFS is not quarantining the fish which shares water with every other fish in the same system.
True. ........and two weeks is not long enough to be sure a fish is ich-free. You can set up a QT for a lot less $ than the price of this fish. (Craigs list?)

niles1967
01/14/2011, 03:57 PM
True. ........and two weeks is not long enough to be sure a fish is ich-free. You can set up a QT for a lot less $ than the price of this fish. (Craigs list?)

+1 I picked up a 55g with an overflow for my QT for $90 on craigslist.

You really should have the QT cycling and have some live rock in it before putting a PBT in there. They are sensitive to crappy water but will thrive in a mature tank. Nothing good in this hobby ever happens quickly.

snorvich
01/14/2011, 05:01 PM
Oh, and by the way, the minimum tank size RC recommends for a PBT is 125 gallons and six feet long.

SDguy
01/14/2011, 05:36 PM
I would definitely QT a PBT, regardless of how it looks at the LFS. LFS often run low level copper to keep ich at bay, but it'll pop right up once it's out of that water.

Also, maybe consider a different genus. I'm not sure I'd like 2 acanthurus species in that tank.

MrTuskfish
01/16/2011, 05:25 PM
+1 I picked up a 55g with an overflow for my QT for $90 on craigslist.

You really should have the QT cycling and have some live rock in it before putting a PBT in there. They are sensitive to crappy water but will thrive in a mature tank. Nothing good in this hobby ever happens quickly.

IMO&IME<;the best way to cycle a QT is to use a HOB filter, I like Aqua-Clear for several reasons. Keep a filter sponge in your main system, put it in the QT filter when needed. The QT will be instantly cycled. Toss the sponge when done, they're cheap. Don't use LR in a QT; if you have to medicate, the LR will absorb meds and become really useless.Again, IMO & IME--ALL fish should ALWAYS be QT'd. I almost always use copper and a de-wormer as preventative medicine. So do almost all collectors, shippers, online dealers, wholesalers, an most LFS.

aquaph8
01/16/2011, 05:33 PM
IMO&IME<;the best way to cycle a QT is to use a HOB filter, I like Aqua-Clear for several reasons. Keep a filter sponge in your main system, put it in the QT filter when needed. The QT will be instantly cycled. Toss the sponge when done, they're cheap. Don't use LR in a QT; if you have to medicate, the LR will absorb meds and become really useless.Again, IMO & IME--ALL fish should ALWAYS be QT'd. I almost always use copper and a de-wormer as preventative medicine. So do almost all collectors, shippers, online dealers, wholesalers, an most LFS.

I agree completely. I cant stress QT enough with this fish. PBs are the the most ich having fish Ive ever had. I really dont recommend this fish to be in a 5 ft tank. I didn't like how mine acted in a 125 to be honest. Goodluck with whatever you decide.

ReefyReef
01/16/2011, 06:32 PM
I would not recommend skipping QT. PBT's are considered Ich magnets and even if you cannot visible see ich, ich has been known to live even in the gills of fishes. Treating ich is not as easy as QT'ing a fish. Save yourself some headache and QT

celamb89
01/17/2011, 01:37 AM
Hi everyone and thanks for the comments...
After all i decided not to get the PBT, Im going to get the QT ready or at least be prepared to have it going and im gonna get a kole tang... I dont want any problems with species fighting so i think the kole tank will be ok and please correct me if wrong!

:)

SDguy
01/17/2011, 08:28 AM
I think a kole is a great choice. Also, look at a tomini maybe instead. I have one, and think he's quite attractive.