PDA

View Full Version : Need help building Return "T" connector

travis32
01/14/2011, 07:40 AM
I have an external pump with 3/4" connections.

I currently have a PVC "T" connector that has 2 connections for the return hoses to the tank.

I had to replace my return pump and this PVC "T" is dripping water from a couple different spots on it. (seems and connections).

I need to replace it and am thinking of building a "Y" or "T" connection out of Flexible tubing and plastic parts.

Does anyone have information on if there's a better "Leak free" build I could do. I'm new to plumbing and I have to say this seems rather daunting task. So, any type of parts list, from like Lowes or Home depot and plans. would be very helpful.

I appreciate any info you can provide.

reefermad619
01/14/2011, 11:20 AM
Are you trying to achieve max flow from the retrun pump, or is retrun flow from the return not a factor for you?

travis32
01/14/2011, 12:07 PM
It's a brand new pump and it's more flow than I had with my old pump, nearly overflowed the tank, so flow could be cut back some into the tank.

I was thinking a Y connector vs. A T would help maintain flow and maybe assist in reducing chances of leaking?

Thoughts?

I want to get the parts this afternoon if possible to get it done today so I have the weekend when I'm home to test for leaks and any potential issues.

travis32
01/14/2011, 04:22 PM
Went to Ace Hardware, and they built the T for me from PVC. Gave me the primer and cement to glue it together and sent me on my way. Took 20 mins to get the pvc parts I needed. I just finished using nail polish remover to get the pvc ready for primer and cement. Then put the primer on then the pvc and glued together. Seemed pretty simple. The cement can says to wait 2 hours before preassure testing. I'll probably let it dry for 5 or 6, then run tap water through it to make rinse it out good, and then attach to the return pump and see if she leaks. I'm hoping not!!... That's the only way I have of preassure testing it...

The PVC says good for around 500 PSI. The pump is 590 gph, so, how does that translate for PSI? the store said it'd be a fair amount of PSI, but, I doubt it would be mor than 500 pounds per square inch?

BigEarn86
01/14/2011, 05:34 PM
PSI is dependent on you PVC diameter, back pressure, run length, etc. but you are FAR FAR from 500psi more like 5psi, maybe.

reefermad619
01/14/2011, 05:37 PM
I had a pump that was external and ~800 gph and it was like 60 psi. So you'll be fine there. Using a T in the return plumbing will greatly reduce your flow. Think of it like a brick wall. Water will hit it, then split in two different directions. Not the best method to use if wanting max flow from your return. When I was using a quiet one 4000 return pump, the T lost me about 200gph. Show pics of how it was done pls.

Indymann99
01/14/2011, 07:06 PM
If you are looking to throttle down the output of your pump a simple ball valve on the output side and your good (and it will use less power than a recirc "T" design).