PDA

View Full Version : Mangroves long-term

euromomtx
01/15/2011, 10:43 AM
I've had mangroves in my bare-bottom sump before.
They grew well and were easily controlled of course since there was no substrate.
I would love to include some mangroves in my new seahorse set up but it will have substrate in there.
Do mangroves pose any risks in tanks such as root structure becoming too large and powerful (you know how even dandelions can grow through asphalt, etc.) to be safe for a glass tank long term?

I hate how disturbing the sandbed kicks off a diatom bloom etc. in an established tank so yanking them out periodically to trim doesn't seem like a really appealing option.

Am I overthinking this?
Any experience with mangroves long term?

cjones1344
01/15/2011, 08:55 PM
I know said you didn't want to trim them because you're worried it will set off a diatom bloom, but I would just trim them. If you let them just grow, they're going to grow into the silicone and eventually crack the tank; you're going to have to trim them. You could just trim them one at a time, or trim them before they get really far into the sandbed so that you don't disturb it too bad when you pull it out. I believe that you are indeed overthinking it ;)

Mad_Reefer
01/16/2011, 02:37 PM
I've had these in this bucket for three years and they show no signs of breaking it, just not big enough yet.
http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn278/blazingreptile/29g%20start%2020101201/201012_mangrove_bucket_sm.jpg

username in use
01/16/2011, 03:51 PM
How do you have that bucket plumbed? I've been thinking of doing something similar.

Mad_Reefer
01/16/2011, 04:02 PM
Just a 1" bulkhead in the side of the bucket. On the inside I did a durso type setup to quiet it down a bit and I'm feeding it with a maxijet 1200 and clear plastic tubing. It could be better but it works so I haven't changed it. If I was to do it again I would also put in a small bulkhead for the maxijet return to go through the side of the bucket instead of going up over the top like I have it.

euromomtx
01/16/2011, 08:18 PM
Those turned into really nice plants! Can't wait to get mine. I read around online some and I guess the suggestion (calfo etc.) is to plant them in small containers inside the DT for easy removal when the time comes.

Probably a weird question but why did you go through the trouble of plumbing your potted plants into your system?
Wouldn't it be easier and way more effective to just throw some cheato in your sump?

Mad_Reefer
01/16/2011, 08:49 PM
I have chaeto in the sump as well. My whole sump is a fuge, no skimmer. This mangrove bucket has been the best thing ever. I think it helped me successfully move twice with no losses and I have not had trouble with phosphate and nitrate since I added them (and I don't use phosphate remover). Might be coincidence as the timing is also about the 6 month newb break in period. Either way, I still like them. My wife hates the bucket so it's a good thing it is hidden in the corner.