PDA

View Full Version : neptune apex

jamgar
01/15/2011, 11:51 AM
For all you apex or other aqua controller users out there. it seems that you daisy chain all the outlets off the controller to one wall GFCI outlet. Is this the only way to do it or can you use multiple wall outlets. Would you all recommend GFCI wall outlets. It just seems like a lot of power/amps off of one outlet. I am working on my electrical now and have the opportunity to place a whole new breaker box in the small fish room I have been working on and will be getting an apex in the near future and don't want to over do or under do the electrical. Any advice would help.
Thanks

ninjazx777
01/15/2011, 12:18 PM
Each dc8 or eb8 can be plugged into a different power outlet only the control wires are daisy chained and they don't draw hardly any power from the dc8 or eb8

preef
01/15/2011, 12:55 PM
I have one eb8 in a GFCI outlet and a second one in my UPS which is connected to the same outlet.

I'm a big believer in using a GFCI along with a ground probe for safety. Some people don't use them because they are afraid of a false trip. Mine has never false tripped over 3 years with my reef tank and several years before that with a FW tank.

The outlet has tripped twice for real reasons. My yellow tang was splashing water out of the tank. He has hit the outlet twice causing it to trip. Saw it happen one of the times (assume the same thing happened the week before). The outlet was smoking or steaming. Glad I had the GFCI hate to think about what would have happened without it. I now have an outdoor plastic cover protecting the outlet from splashes.

If you are designing custom electrical I would go with two separate GFCI outlets on two separate breakers for redundancy. You can then have a return pump running off each of those along with two heaters, separate power heads etc...

cherubfish pair
01/15/2011, 02:48 PM
Does the ground probe have to be plugged directly into the gfci or can it be plugged into a plain power strip that's plugged into the gfci?

b_s_c1
01/16/2011, 12:47 AM
Does the ground probe have to be plugged directly into the gfci or can it be plugged into a plain power strip that's plugged into the gfci?

You can plug the ground probe into either one.

jamgar
01/17/2011, 06:20 PM
I have been advised by several people to use the BRS 50cc dosing pump for ATO and Automatic Salt water change with a Neptune apex...

several questions:
Do you think they would work will for subtracting and adding a specific volume of water from my system (approx 7 liters in and out per day) for continuous water changes, can the pumps be calibrated or do they pump exactly the same amount. I can ensure they are pumping similer distances and head pressures. I don't want fluctuation in the volume over time.

Would the 50cc pump be a good choice for ATO through a Kalk reactor. I lose about 1.4 and 2 gallons a day due to evaporation

The lower volume pumps are recommended for mg and two part dosing ...correct?

Overall as I don't have the controller yet I am having trouble determining what components will be enhanced or compatible with the apex. It seems the BRS would work as it is a simple on/off operation but would something like the litermeter or bubblemagnus dosers that has user directed rates of flow also benefit from the apex connection?
Thanks
Jim

p.s. I double posted this in two different forums (reef chemistry and general reef). Moderators: please move or remove as you see fit