PDA

View Full Version : Lumen Max Reflectors

TChristman
01/15/2011, 06:48 PM
I currently run the Lumen Max 3 HQI reflector. I am very happy with this reflector but I am going to a 36 in wide tank and was thinking of getting the Elite reflector for a little wider coverage. The tank will be 8 feet long so I plan on using the Lumen Max on the ends and possibly 2 Elites in the middle.

Does anyone have any experience with the Elite as compared to the Lumen Max 3? The dimensions are larger and I assume the light coverage would be too. Please let me know your experiences.

Thanks.

RokleM
01/17/2011, 10:13 AM
Actually it's the opposite. The LumenMax Elite is very much direct down lighting, like a spotlight. The LumenMax 2/3, while having an intense center, have a much wider spread. The Elite is more like a lumenbright in spread.

What do you plan to keep and what will the rock structure look like? I have a single LumenMax 2 on my 30x30x27 cube that works well. In short, if you keep the lights over the corals and have plenty of swimming area, will probably work. A few T5's could take care of any dark areas if need be.

mcoomer
01/17/2011, 10:43 AM
I have two Lumen Max Elites over my 72' 180 and as Eric noted they tend to focus light quite a bit. I've contemplated putting a third lamp and reflector over the center but what I ended up doing was creating a valley in my rockwork and putting a monti cap, scoly, and lobo there. Everyone seems to be happy.

If you get the Elites I'd stick that Lumen Max 3 in the center and the Elites on each side. I think that would work well.

Mike

TChristman
01/20/2011, 09:17 AM
Thank you. I will have a couple of 60" T5s to use at my disposal as well. I can use them for the front and back of the tank if needed. I plan on having a pretty open area as I am not a fan of just one big wall type aquascaping. I am going to add another 3.

skanderson
01/20/2011, 10:48 AM
wow a 72 foot 180. that must be a really shallow tank. amazing that 2 fixtures covers it. sorry to be a pain but couldnt pass up a typo like that.