PDA

View Full Version : Sorry, it was just a joke!

one eye
06/01/2003, 06:29 PM
At todays meeting there was a gentleman? who for some strange reason was able to recognize me from my RC name without any introduction ( very strange, he must have been psycic ). When he approached me and said "hey one eye" I turned and said "what do you mean?" He then turned and disapeared into the crowd. It was a joke, I tried to find you later but was unsuccesful. Please remember that it was just a joke, maybe in poor taste but at least I didn't call you a foul name or insult the size of your manhood. This, as twisted as it may seem, is an honest effort at an appology. If this was your first meeting please do not judge the rest of BRS by my inapropriate behavior. Again, I am truly sorry for any mental anguish I may have caused you and, or your family. I hope there is no permanet scaring.

Very, Truly Sorry, Darren err I mean one eye :D

stang8s
06/01/2003, 06:50 PM
LOL now thats my type of humor!

Jake
06/01/2003, 08:20 PM
Darrin I am still laughing at that story. I just told my wife the joke and we were both laughing. Truely a classic. Hope the "gentleman" also sees the humor in it.

mikeroby1969
06/01/2003, 08:31 PM
Geez Darren.... you probably scared some person out of the club... But that is freaking funny...

Later,

Mike

karl wagner
06/02/2003, 07:39 AM
I was hoping that was why your screen name was one eye.
I gotta admit I was afraid of any other reasons.

BTW... we should campaign with RC to put up a
one-eyed smiley face here on RC.

this one just doesn't cut it. :hmm4:

Scuba_Dave
06/02/2003, 09:24 AM
hmmmmm...I thought they did, but no patch

:hmm6:

MattL
06/02/2003, 11:19 AM
One eye,

You know it wasn't me, because you know who I am.

But I was thinking, though. Remember, when I first met you at Skiptons, I didn't connect you to your screen name until you told me.

Here's a hypothetical situation. Yesterday at the meeting, what if someone sent the gentleman in question over in your direction, telling him that that is the individual that goes by 'one-eye'. Just as I would go: "Hey, 'yaktop'/'ReeferMJP'/'Scuba Dave'/..." when approaching someone, maybe he went: "Hey, 'one-eye'!" only to realize too late that your screen name wasn't random, and then walked off in shame fearing that his salutation was misinterprated as an insult.

What if I was (G-d forbid), an orphan, and my screen name was 'orphan', and someone looking for a frag went: "Hey, 'orphan'!" It could be interpated too ways: a salutation or an insult.

This might be overly optimistic.

Many of us have lost someone or something, whether it shows or not. I refuse to be part of a club that doesn't recognize people as whole people regardless of any loss or disability. I'm happy I got to know you and your wife, and hopefully this will work itself out,

Matt:cool:

one eye
06/02/2003, 09:10 PM
Matt, I was raised to believe that if you can't poke fun of yourself then you should poke fun of no-one at all. Well I have become, I think, fairly adapt at poking fun of myself. So now EVERYONE is fair game :D

ChrisPma
06/02/2003, 09:53 PM
I have a friend in similar situation. he was in gulf war lost his left foot, left hand and left eye. He has prostetic foot and mechanical "claw" hand. He is a fisherman and usually freaks people out when they ask how he got hurt. tells them lost hand and foot to a shark they netted and lost his eye to a fly. When they ask how he lost an eye to a fly he says that it happened several weeks after the shark incident. says he went to swat it and forgot about the "claw" lol. It usually a pretty good ice breaker (for conversation i mean, not the claw)

Heavydc2
06/02/2003, 10:22 PM
I still remember my first time seeing you... oh you must be one eye....

HEHE,

I also remember the worm you have in your tank, I just cant find the pic.

bdr127
06/03/2003, 03:06 PM
I wasn't at the meeting, so someone please enlighten me..... As much as I've tried to understand what happened from the context of this thread, I'm still a little confused.... Somebody help me out -- Thanks!

moe_k
06/03/2003, 03:10 PM
Somebody approached Darren and tried to greet him using his screen name - One Eye.
In jest, Darren turned on the guy and asked if the guy was making fun of Darren.
The anonymous guy got a guilty look, then quickly walked off. Darren tried later to find the guy and explain it was a joke, but the man must have left the mansion.

Heavydc2
06/03/2003, 03:11 PM
well you would have to meet darren to understand.... but lets see if I can give you a hint

http://reefcentral.com/forums/images/avatars/patch.gif

Reef-lite
06/03/2003, 03:20 PM
Blame it on me. I forgot to bring name tags and everyone was trying to identify their frag trading partners. Some new members asked me to help them find their frag trading buddies. I think I sent one of the new members over to Darren and told them that they could recognize him from his screen name "One-Eye". Next time I'll remember to tell them that he looks like a menacing pirate, but he's really a softie at heart. ;)

one eye
06/03/2003, 04:44 PM
ChrisPma...Was the gentleman? you? It's ok you can tell us if it was. Well, if it was or was not you Welcome to BRS If it was you I am sorry to have offended you. It was just a joke, and you are not alone. I was asked what happened on a post once and replied that I was short on cash and needed fish food. I think Heavydc2 provided a pic for that one. I also recently told someone that I lost it trying to wrestle a large mantis shrimp out of my tank :D

Scuba_Dave
06/03/2003, 04:49 PM
When I was younger in Boy Scouts we had a Scout Leader who was diabetic. He had to have insulin shots, he told us he was hooked on drugs. I guess a joke like that wouldn't go over too well these days.:rolleyes:

ChrisPma
06/03/2003, 05:16 PM
No wasnt me. i just found the club yesterday--lol

alonks
06/03/2003, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by Scuba_Dave
When I was younger in Boy Scouts we had a Scout Leader who was diabetic. He had to have insulin shots, he told us he was hooked on drugs. I guess a joke like that wouldn't go over too well these days.:rolleyes:

That's funny, we had the exact opposite type of Scout Leader.....

As for One-eye, I almost came up to him and Said "oh, you must be one-eye", but then someone asked me something, and I never spoke to him. If he had done what he did to that other guy, but to me, I would have been completely stunned with embarrasment, but it would have been worth it, cause this is hilarious.

--
Aaren

tstone
04/11/2006, 03:29 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=1393696#post1393696 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by one eye
Matt, I was raised to believe that if you can't poke fun of yourself then you should poke fun of no-one at all. Well I have become, I think, fairly adapt at poking fun of myself. So now EVERYONE is fair game :D

Darren i always wanted to ask if you lost it by pokin your self? ;)

Scuba_Dave
04/11/2006, 05:43 PM
The memories...some of the best meetings seem to involve water

gofish
04/11/2006, 08:40 PM
:lmao: This thread is too funny! You guys have a lot of good stories from the past. Too bad we didn't find the club sooner!

tstone
04/11/2006, 08:44 PM
Gofish ya gotta go make the memories. Live it large!

gofish
04/11/2006, 08:52 PM
We've been going to meetings for only a few months. We've been on BRS for over a year, though. Having a baby keeps us home more often than not...but he went to the last meeting with us. Fit right in!

tstone
04/11/2006, 08:57 PM
I was at the last one with my daughter. She played with some of the other kids.

How old is your child?

gofish
04/18/2006, 08:24 PM
Sorry for not posting back...I don't check on this site as much.

Zachary is almost 20 months old. We were at the Framingham meeting. He showed up with his cooler and cup (empty) of coffee. He was pretty good for the most part, but got restless after about an hour of sitting during the presentation. I think that is remarkable for a 1 year old! We could only entertain him for a little while with his toys, then Greg Hiller's set-up was entertainment for a while. Good thing he set up at our table! :rollface:

How old is your daughter? Was she one of the 2 playing near the bar?

gofish
04/18/2006, 08:27 PM
:bounce3: :bounce2: :bounce1:

tstone
Yes that was her. Amanda is my daughter and Stephanie is Gustavos (neo) daughter. They are both 5.

Stephanie has the black hair. Amanda has brunette.

moe_k
How old is your daughter? Was she one of the 2 playing near the bar? [/B]
No, that was me and Mauro. ;) :p

tstone
04/18/2006, 08:29 PM
Moe what are you doing with our children at a bar?? ;)

gofish
04/18/2006, 08:35 PM
Bribing them with pizza!

gofish
04/18/2006, 08:38 PM
Zachary was checking them out, but he wouldn't engage with them. They were funny to watch (the girls) because they were keeping the bartender on guard. (I apologize in advance because I won't remember which girl is who's...I may remember their names, though). :)