PDA

View Full Version : Cooking rock/switching to BB.. Few Questions

SSpiro
01/16/2011, 01:16 AM
I've been reading thread after thread, and going to go the Bomber route. Tank is two years old, fighting high NO3 and PO4, cyano, hair, aiptasia, etc etc. Doing tons of proactive things, but not getting anywhere.

However, Need to clarify a few things I couldn't find answers for before I dive in.

1.. How long, on average, is the cooking process - or should I say, how does one know the process is done?

2.. Tank is established, and i see tons of threads recommending doing all the rock at once.. However, what about the coral and fish? They're going to be OK in the tank without sand AND rock?

3.. Won't adding the cooked rock back in create a cycle?

4.. Will cooking the rock take care of aiptasia?

I'll post more if I think of any, but these are the huge questions right now before I jump in..

headless
01/16/2011, 02:02 AM
I've been reading thread after thread, and going to go the Bomber route. Tank is two years old, fighting high NO3 and PO4, cyano, hair, aiptasia, etc etc. Doing tons of proactive things, but not getting anywhere.

However, Need to clarify a few things I couldn't find answers for before I dive in.

1.. How long, on average, is the cooking process - or should I say, how does one know the process is done?

2.. Tank is established, and i see tons of threads recommending doing all the rock at once.. However, what about the coral and fish? They're going to be OK in the tank without sand AND rock?

3.. Won't adding the cooked rock back in create a cycle?

4.. Will cooking the rock take care of aiptasia?

I'll post more if I think of any, but these are the huge questions right now before I jump in..

Trust me when I say this...don't do anything radical...go to the Vodka method...it will eliminate your nitrates and phosphates...I never believed it until it worked for me...find the dosing chart somewhere and begin...when your nitrates and phosphates disappear, so, too, will a lot of your tank issues...

This method, as far as I've seen and heard of from others, is about 100% successful...

SeanT
01/16/2011, 09:51 PM
This method, as far as I've seen and heard of from others, is about 100% successful...I think that it speaks volumes that advice here is often given with no actual experience with the methods. :(

"Cook" your rock as prescribed by the SeanT method here.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=650985

SSpiro
01/19/2011, 06:47 PM
Thank you. I've read through a bunch of threads including that one, but don't necessarily see the answers to my questions. Perhaps i'm not reading closely enough..

Thoughts on these questions?

SSpiro
01/21/2011, 10:16 PM
Bump :(

TheGuyWho
01/21/2011, 11:06 PM
I had a few problem spots of Aiptasia in my 100 gallon tank. Also was over run with green algae. I wound up pulling 80% of my rock out and scrubbing the crap out of it, and the tank, then soaked the rock in a scalding hot water bath, then left it outside in the sun for a few days. Just put it back in a couple weeks ago and although it has some minor signs of "re-cycling" (very light brown algae) it looks 110% better than it did. Aiptasia hasn't come back on those rocks I had pulled out. Seen one or two Aiptasia that I missed and ive just dosed with Aiptasia-X. Nothings come back since.

Good luck!

timgarvey
01/22/2011, 07:39 AM
I'm starting this process today with my LR fro. 75 g. I've had all same issues but my timing is more about pending move of the tank. Seems like I've read to keep rinsing the LR until some future point when they no longer seem to have "stuff" coming off and out of the LR. I thought I read 4-6 weeks but to be prepared for more.

SeanT
01/22/2011, 07:34 PM
1. The process can take 4-6 weeks depending on how "dirty" and vigilant you are with the water changes and the dunking swishing.
The process is over when you have virtually no more shedding from the rocks.

2. There is no legitimate reason to do all the rocks at once except for convenience.
If you do them all at once just upgrade the amount of water changes for your DT.

3. No.

4. Yes.

Sean

headless
01/22/2011, 08:04 PM
I think that it speaks volumes that advice here is often given with no actual experience with the methods. :(

"Cook" your rock as prescribed by the SeanT method here.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=650985

Sean,

Guess you didn't read my post...this is what I did and with great success...I'm assuming others have gone the same way...there are easier ways to do things FIRST before 'cooking' your rocks...