PDA

View Full Version : What is the best place?

fishdip
01/16/2011, 09:54 PM
What do you think is the best place to get your dive gear online or at your local dive shop?

fishdip
01/19/2011, 05:48 PM
Any one?

ousnakebyte
01/20/2011, 11:50 AM
Well, at least for the regulators - your life support system - I want to have a working relationship with someone who is going to be servicing it for me. Many shops will let you demo various pieces of equipment before you buy. So, for something as high-priced as that and is going to keep me alive underwater, I would want a face-to-face relationship.

Not to say that online vendors are not reliable - and I shop online for quite a few things, this is one where I would want to see someone in person, talk about the advantages and disadvantages, etc. And, perhaps you could work out a rent-to-own deal, or something like it.

There is something to say for being able to try on a BC before you buy it, maybe demo several in the pool first.

It's likely that, if you buy top line equipment, you won't be buying another set for a long time - if you keep up with the yearly maintenance.

Cheers
Mike

mrongi1
01/20/2011, 04:42 PM
Be sure to check out leisurepro. It is an SCUBA superstore in New York but they have a website you can buy online. If you're buying all of your equipment, they will cut you a package deal that will beat anyone's prices hands down by several hundred dollars. I agree with ousnakebyte that you should shop around and try to handle any equipment before buying ie) try it out if possible but at the very least try it on. I have bought all my equipment through leisurepro and have never had a problem. Their customer service is excellent. The fact is, the money that you would spend on average gear at a local store, would get you top of the line gear at leisure pro and you will get it much sooner because most dive shops do not stock a whole lot. Anyways, hope that helps. Safe diving!!!

fishdip
01/20/2011, 09:27 PM
Thanks for the replys im thinking it is better to go with the shop I dive at 2 times a week.

cur10u5g30rg3
01/21/2011, 07:50 AM
Probably better to use the local shop. My local shop is pretty good about coming close to online prices.