PDA

View Full Version : clear water

mtaswt
01/17/2011, 09:37 AM
any tips or suggestions on getting my water crystal clear? I currently run carbon and a filter sock, but I just can't seem to get rid of the fine particulates in the water?

Thanks--Matt

streak
01/17/2011, 09:41 AM
How long has it been setup? did you rinse the sand really well? If you did and its still clowdy.. A) did you mix your salt in the tank? B) turn off your power heads in the tank and let your overflow and filter sock take care of it over nite.

It will clear up just might take awhile if your sand wasnt prewashed as good.

mtaswt
01/17/2011, 10:10 AM
it's been set up for about 6 months now.....I did just add the MP40's though, but it still doesn't seem to be clearing up as quickly as I would think it would?

streak
01/17/2011, 10:23 AM
6 months.. That dont seem right.. Someone chime in here and help out... This is only a guess.. How often do you do a water change? I am suspecting your having a bacterial bloom of some sort... But i want to let others chime in first.. do you have any pictures you could post..

One other question do you run a Skimmer?

Like put up on photo bucket and copy and paste the img link back here in the thread?

streak
01/17/2011, 11:14 AM
Ahh idea!!! how far down are you running the MP40's and what type of substrate are you using? is it really fine oolite sand?

mtaswt
01/17/2011, 11:39 AM
MP40's about 6" from the surface on a 25" deep tank. Sand isn't of the fine variety....I never washed the sand from the get go so this may be my problem? Maybe just really moving stuff around with the new pumps.....you can definately see them pulling water from the bottom with the particulates floating around

DoubleM 10
01/17/2011, 11:47 AM
do u have a anemone for the clowns? i had a clown but no anemony and the clown would take his tail in the sand like a rudder and stir up the sand. so it was constantly blowing around.

matt

RenoR1
01/17/2011, 11:49 AM
My water is crystal clear, even with one powerhead hitting sand occasionally. It settles fairly quickly. My only filtration is the skimmer and I use RODI water with 0 tds. Was it clear before you added the MP40? Have you checked all your levels? Is it sand? micro-bubbles? Your best guess, what is in the water column?