PDA

View Full Version : A newbie question

Dgepi
01/17/2011, 10:05 AM
Hello

I'm suppose to buy a second hand 220gallons aquarium. It comes with a Deltec AP-851 skimmer.

I Know that it's a discontinued skimmer. Will it be difficult to get spares part or should I go to an other brand? Thinking that 500$ is the selling:fun4: price.

CRASHJT
01/17/2011, 10:10 AM
Thats quite a large tank for a beginner..... Not that size is a problem but putting enough Live rock sand etc will add up quick, Draining your bank account in a HURRY there are plenty of 90-110 gallon complete systems lights sand rock livestock everything for less than that (by me "Tampa") seems like something like might be a better way to go but thats up to you???

kfisc
01/17/2011, 10:27 AM
Welcome to RC-

Without knowing your situation, I'd second CRASHJT. But if your budget allows (the sky's the limit with that size tank), I'd go ahead and get a new skimmer as well. Not that there aren't ways to get replacement parts- but if you're really intent on doing a great build, may was well start with something that has a warranty.

Sk8r
01/17/2011, 10:37 AM
[welcome]
With that large a tank, going with dry sand, all base rock except for 5-10 lbs of live rock and just giving it the extra time (an 8 week cycle instead of 4) will both 'save the reef' and save you a bundle of cash. Lighting it is going to be a major item: you COULD start out with modern CFL lighting, in the 6700 range, and stay to fish only and lowlight corals at first, then upgrade the lighting in the tank section at a time. Me, if I had the room, I'd go for it; but remember that lighting can cost more than the tank if you go high-end, and whether that tank is deep or long, or both, you may find ordinary household bulbs of the CFL sort a good place-marker. We brought all our plants in this winter, got a couple of CFL fixtures, and have them blooming through the winter under nothing more than ordinary 'daylight CFL'. I use it on my fuge, and have very green and healthy macro.

Dgepi
01/17/2011, 02:12 PM
Tanks everybody !
To clarify my situation lets say that in the deal i'm suppose to do, the aquarium, lighting rails and live rocks are include in the price (200 pds of rock).I have to add a 550 $ for the deltec skimmer. My first question was about the skimmer's quality.
It's a 6 feet long, 30 inches height and 24 large aquarium.
Kfisk , you said that I should start with another skimmer. But wich one. I don't where to go. Do you think it's a to risky adventure for me ?

alanbates12
01/17/2011, 02:46 PM
Just a bit of advice I had to learn the hard way. The Tank sounds great. I too bought a 180 gal (almost same size 72' 24'24') and thought I was getting a great deal...... $3500.00 later I've finially got a good looking display tank with all that it takes to run it.. and still room for upgrades. My advice is whatever you decide to do get all your equipment ie, skimmer, RODI set up, lighting, sump, auto top off system..... If I had it to do all over again I would have went with a tank that was 48 inches across or less, b/c lighting is much cheeper along with everything else. If what your buying comes with 200 lb of LR also sounds like a good deal. Take your time and do a good job on your plumbing while it has no wate in it... Overall sounds like a deal but don't be like me and fill it full of water then try to upgrade your plumbing, sump.... Send some photos after you get it hooked up. And Ive heard this skimmer is a good one and its what I plan on upgrading to... http://www.aquacave.com/reef-octopus-extreme-250-br-protein-skimmer-br-by-coralvue-2201.html

tchndie
01/17/2011, 04:01 PM
IMO deltek are good skimmers but I would go with a Bubbleking