PDA

View Full Version : Clown Tang... Are they difficult??

Grubby
01/17/2011, 11:13 AM
I am wanting to buy a nice Clown Tang from my LFS but every where I read it talks about how difficult they are. Has anybody had any luck with them.

AfricaOffroad
01/17/2011, 11:20 AM
We catch them locally.
Hardest part is getting them to eat aquarium food, some just wither away if there is not enough algae to sustain them.
(Then again, those were the days before nori.)

They are somewhat susceptable to white spot, but not as bad as say a powder blue/brown.

No more aggressive than a sohal.
Beautiful fish, still one of my personal favoutite tangs

Sugar Magnolia
01/17/2011, 11:20 AM
They are best left to advanced aquarists. I'd suggest skipping it and going with an easier to care for species of tang. What size tank do you have?

snorvich
01/17/2011, 11:36 AM
They can also be terrors. I have a friend who has one in a 1000 g tank but I suspect his success is the exception not the rule.

LargeAngels
01/17/2011, 12:47 PM
As Steve said, they can be wholly terror. They have a terrible survival record and if it does live can be the meanest son of a @#$^@#. I had a 5" one from Maldives, ate anything and everything, and I had to take it back to my LFS as it picked on EVERY single fish I had in the tank. It was just nasty!

Grubby
01/17/2011, 01:15 PM
My tank is a 265 and all I have in there right now are two breeding pairs or clowns. The LFS suggest I buy him last as he might give me trouble. I love his look and I am afraid I won't be able to help myself if they still have it on my next visit. He is small in size about 4" would this help him being a smaller fish.

snorvich
01/17/2011, 01:50 PM
He is small in size about 4" would this help him being a smaller fish.

Basically, no. And in our opinion your tank is not large enough for that fish.

WETFISH
01/17/2011, 02:00 PM
I have had mine since Sept. 2004.He is the only one I have ever had,so maybe not typical? My tank is 180g,so I think your tank size is good.Hopefully your tank is long...mine swims both sides of the six foot penninsula continually. I got mine as small as I could find... 3-4 inches.I would suggest quarantine with copper,as they are ich prone.And you need to find a source of algae/sea weed to start him eating.Maybe a friend with a refugium or set up a fuge of your own. Mine know eats everthing.He is not overly aggressive.Tank mates are 2 yellow tangs,1 sailfin tang, 2 maroon clowns, 1 filamented flasher wrasse and a baby potters angel. When he gets frisky ,he swoops around like crazy and the others get out of his way,but I have never seen him go after any fish specificaly.

svejil
01/17/2011, 02:11 PM
Basically, no. And in our opinion your tank is not large enough for that fish.

Which "our" opinion are you referring to? Looked at Sticky in RC, and recommendation is Acanthurus lineatus Lined or Clown Surgeonfish 240 gallon.

At 265 gallons the OP should be fine based on the RC recommended tank size for this fish. I also think if he stocks appropriately he should have a happy, long lived fish. I would have to say, if this fish is really attractive to you, then take the normal precautions as related to potentially aggressive fish, and buy the fish.

SV

LargeAngels
01/17/2011, 02:15 PM
Adding the fish last in my case didn't work.

svejil
01/17/2011, 02:24 PM
I'd have to say, it is rather hit or miss, as is with any potentially aggressive fish. Everyone has heard of folks who keep large angels, or aggressive tangs, some have experience with model citizens, while others had the spawn of Satan on their hands with the exact same species.

All I am saying is that everyone has "that fish" they really want. If you have adequate quarters, and common sense, it is worth the time and effort in my opinion.

SV

MrTuskfish
01/17/2011, 02:26 PM
Not trying to be a smart ***.; but of course they're difficult. Thats what everything you've read says about them and why most online dealers (L.A., B.Z.) label them as "expert only". I think you have to be careful when you ask a question by starting "Has anyone ever....?. Someone, somewhere has done everything in this hobby with some degree (usually short-term) success. Exceptions? Of course. But when all of the literature points the other way, you can believe it. I also agree with a couple of the posts above; I have no problem with hobbyists buying "expert' or "difficult" fish. However, I think you should base your decision on the over-all descriptions and recommendations---not on the exceptions.

RealReef7
01/17/2011, 03:06 PM
they are difficult, once settled in they are a PIA atleast mine is..

Tabasco
01/17/2011, 03:50 PM
Is the fish at the lfs eating? I think that is the 1st hurdle. And you have the luxury to check that out. Then you just need to ask yourself if he is worth the potential frustration and possibility of being a bully.

If your params are stable, Like another poster said, if this is your "it" fish give it a go.

snorvich
01/17/2011, 04:12 PM
Which "our" opinion are you referring to? Looked at Sticky in RC, and recommendation is Acanthurus lineatus Lined or Clown Surgeonfish 240 gallon.

At 265 gallons the OP should be fine based on the RC recommended tank size for this fish. I also think if he stocks appropriately he should have a happy, long lived fish. I would have to say, if this fish is really attractive to you, then take the normal precautions as related to potentially aggressive fish, and buy the fish.

SV

Yes, the RC recommended minimum tank size is indeed 240 gallons. That does not mean the original poster will be fine. I have only seen this fish successfully kept once and that was in a substantially larger tank. Getting one to consistently eat is the first hurdle and probably you can have that demonstrated by multiple times at the LFS. But after that, I think you will find that this fish "paces" to show its unhappiness and will eventually become aggressive to all fishes. Now this is not an initial aggressiveness but it is progressive over time. I have seen Sohal tangs start out the same way (although eating is not a problem) and as it gets larger becomes a major terror to existing fish, not just new arrivals. If the original poster does not care, so be it.

ENTMogul
01/17/2011, 04:12 PM
I've only lost a couple fish in my fish keeping career. A very sick Chrysurus and a very healthy clown tang which one day just disappeared.

Awesome fish. mine wasn't mean but he was one of the smallest in the tank. Just take normal precautions.

Grubby
01/17/2011, 09:07 PM
Thanks for all the help

WuHT
01/20/2011, 07:46 PM
clown tangs are easily accessible, cheap, and probably on of the most beautiful of tangs.

That's a shame.