PDA

View Full Version : skimmer overflowing

Bashbro
01/17/2011, 02:10 PM
I have a 55g DT with an eshopps wet/dry. I am using a PSK-75 skimmer in the wetdry return section. Everything has been running smooth for about 7 months now however after i did a water change yesterday (about 15 gallons) my skimmer will not stop overflowing. Even when tuned all the way down the bubbles fill the collection cup full in about 20 minutes. I am at a loss for why this is doing this and how to stop it. I unplugged the skimmer all last night and when trying again today the skimmer is doing the same thing. I currently have the skimmer in a bucket of water/vinegar mix hoping to clean it out?? Please help Thank

James404
01/17/2011, 02:13 PM
Have you used any sort of epoxy or super glue recently, maybe adding new frags? Chemicals are a common cause when skimmers start to overflow.

Bashbro
01/17/2011, 03:02 PM
why yes i have... when i did the water change i corra-fix'd two rocks together... should i keep the skimmer going and just keep dumping it until it stops? will it stop? how long? if i am not around to watch the cup should i turn off the skimmer

celamb89
01/17/2011, 03:50 PM
I would keep it running and add some carbon to try and extract whatever the chemical is that is making it overflow

Hudzon
01/17/2011, 06:20 PM
does it have a foam head or all water ?
if all water I would check your air intake tube, blow through it and make sure you are getting air through also check your skimmer return tube make sure nothing dropped in it or maybe a snail in there.

James404
01/17/2011, 06:28 PM
I would run carbon and keep it running if you can. Water changes will help too. If you have to leave it unattended definitely turn it off, you don't want a flood to happen. It could take some time to get the chemicals out, when I moved and had to relocate my tank I had to re-epoxy every coral, my skimmer went nuts and took about 2 weeks before I was able to get it under control. This was a lot of epoxy though.