PDA

View Full Version : Fighting Salt creeping, how do you keep you rtank clean?

bamf25
01/18/2011, 07:50 AM
I am new to this, and know that tanks get dirty. I have seen other tanks that have been set up for years that have large amounts of deposits, and salt all over them. I have also seen tanks that always look almost new. I would like to keep the various buildups to a minumum, and keep a new clean look as much as possible. So what are the best and safest ways to keep a tank like new, or is it just a losing battle in the long run (besides the manual labor part)?

Uncle Salty 05
01/18/2011, 07:54 AM
For a glass tank a razor blade and a rag soaked in RO/DI will keep your tank clean. Of course the bigger the tank the more work this will be.
For an acrylic tank just replace the razor blade with an old credit card.

Frogmanx82
01/18/2011, 08:17 AM
Keep the bubbles out of the tank, that will help keep everything in the tank. I really don't get much salt creep. A quick wipe with a damp paper towel once a month is all I need.

sland
01/18/2011, 08:21 AM
Just part of regular maintenance. Make sure no small leaks in any of your plumbing, keep the bubbles to a min, and whenever you see it attack it right away to minimize it. I use a microfiber towel and water, and no creep at all.

chimmike
01/18/2011, 08:30 AM
1) reduce bubbles
2) reduce splashing.

Salt creep is for the most part salt built up from splashing of salt water.