PDA

View Full Version : Question about "Tiny" yellow belly hippo tang

green1181
01/19/2011, 06:01 AM
I have a chance to go in on a group order for livestock, on the website there is a Yellow Belly Hippo Tang that I really want, but it's listed as "tiny", Are small ones harder to take care of? are they more sensitive to shipping stress? and I don't have a QT tank, just an extra 10g nano set up with a sixline that's a bit of a bully, probably not ok for the tang right?

snorvich
01/19/2011, 06:53 AM
Those tiny tangs are more difficult but remember they grow to a foot rather quickly; Reef Central's recommended tank size is 240 gallons. Yes, a six line can harrass any fish and often does.

TripleT
01/19/2011, 07:13 AM
Sounds like your next purchase should be a larger QT instead of livestock.

And if you do get a hippo one day, do you have a plan for when it arrives? Any preventative treatments you plan on using? Tangs are pest magnets.

How do group buys of livestock work in your experience? Sounds like it would add more stress to an already stressful journey for the fish.

If you have a trustworthy LFS, I'd consider spending a little more and see if they would be able to order one for you. Tell them you saw it online, but would much rather spend your $$$ with them. Good for your LFS, and good for your relationship with them.

In any case, never be in a rush to acquire livestock. New opportunities always present themselves.

Good luck.

MrTuskfish
01/19/2011, 09:02 AM
Sounds like your next purchase should be a larger QT instead of livestock.

And if you do get a hippo one day, do you have a plan for when it arrives? Any preventative treatments you plan on using? Tangs are pest magnets.

How do group buys of livestock work in your experience? Sounds like it would add more stress to an already stressful journey for the fish.

If you have a trustworthy LFS, I'd consider spending a little more and see if they would be able to order one for you. Tell them you saw it online, but would much rather spend your $$$ with them. Good for your LFS, and good for your relationship with them.

In any case, never be in a rush to acquire livestock. New opportunities always present themselves.

Good luck.

I live in the boonies and have bought all my fish online for years, I'll never go back. Selection, price, guarantee, etc is great. We have a loose "group", all of us live within an hour of a FedEx "Hold at Location'' site. These sites allow for pick up at 9AM the day after shipping. When we have a group order, we meet at the FedEx site, open the boxes, and put our stuff into our own coolers. Works great. This is a great way to buy frozen food too. F&S has incredible prices and shipping is the same, no matter how much you buy. I can remember when the LFS was a great place, with knowledgeable owners. I know some of these places still exist, but in most of "flyover" country, online is the only real option. (IMO)

Sugar Magnolia
01/19/2011, 09:11 AM
I would NOT plan to put that little tang into the tank with the sixline. The sixline will probably kill it.

green1181
01/19/2011, 11:39 AM
Thanks for the input, I have decided to get a local retailer to order one in and he will qt it a few weeks for me. The price difference isn't worth all the chances i'd be taking.

sanchoy
01/19/2011, 12:57 PM
I always see these small dime sized blue hippos sold all over. Most of them don't last long though. People buy them and do not have the proper caring environment for them. I bought a small one a few years back, it lived but grew extremely fast. From dime size to 6 inches in one year just FYI.

Orcrone
01/19/2011, 03:16 PM
Tiny ones (of any fish) are babies and require much more care than one purchased as a juvenile. I'd definitely avoid it.

TampaReefer79
01/19/2011, 10:09 PM
A store saying they will qt a fish for you is not the same as doing it yourself. Each and every fish needs to be qt'd so you'll need to get used to doing it yourself anyway. If each one isn't qt'd, then there's no point in qt'ing any. All or none.

TripleT
01/19/2011, 10:49 PM
Thanks for the input, I have decided to get a local retailer to order one in and he will qt it a few weeks for me. The price difference isn't worth all the chances i'd be taking.

That's great... and now you have time to set up a proper QT as well!

After a few weeks at your LFS, I'd put him through at least another 4 in your QT at home.

AquaClear hang-on filters work pretty well for QT tanks. Adjustable flow, and a flexible media basket.

MrTuskfish
01/20/2011, 09:57 AM
That's great... and now you have time to set up a proper QT as well!

After a few weeks at your LFS, I'd put him through at least another 4 in your QT at home.

AquaClear hang-on filters work pretty well for QT tanks. Adjustable flow, and a flexible media basket.

+1 on the Aqua-Clear. They have huge sponges that do not include carbon. Keep a sponge in your DT system somewhere. Put in the QT filter when needed, the QT will be instantly cycled with the bacteria in the sponge. Toss when no longer needed in QT, they're cheap.