PDA

View Full Version : Can I tie in a planted tank to my display?

BIGG D
01/19/2011, 11:01 AM
I have a 175 gallon reef tank with all the plumbing through the wall to my sump. I have 2 75 gallon rubbermaid stock tanks with my skimmer and heaters and such and some cheato thriving also.
I built a structure over the rubbermaids and aquired a 58 gallon RR that I plan to mount over this and plumb it up for a nice planted macro tank.

Having not done a planted tank before, assuming all my current parms and temp will sustain a PT, anyone see any problem doing this? What challenges might I face?

Any guidance appreciated.

evsalty
01/19/2011, 11:07 AM
You may find the macro in all parts of your system after a while. Also, if you have any that can, some macro will go asexual and that will certainly get spread throughout the system.

BIGG D
01/19/2011, 11:32 AM
You may find the macro in all parts of your system after a while. Also, if you have any that can, some macro will go asexual and that will certainly get spread throughout the system.

Hmm.
Well, again I know nothing of planted tanks, but that does not sound like a problem. I mean... I would love to grow some macros in my reef tank but its my understanding that my tangs (and others) would make pretty quick work of these as snacks.

Please elaborate.

Thanks for the help:beer:

AdrianBryce
01/19/2011, 12:06 PM
There are plenty of Macros that have little to no worry of going "sexual". Also there are plenty that won't frag themselves as well. it can be done , plus you would be growing nutritious snacks for your tangs.

BIGG D
01/19/2011, 12:22 PM
So is a macro that goes "sexual" really a problem?
Should I avoid these?

AuroraDrvr
01/19/2011, 04:18 PM
Well, the only macro that really is an issue with going sexual, is the "Grape" species of Caulerpas.

Stay away from those, and you'll be good with sporulation. As far as pieces getting into your DT and becoming invasive? Unlikely, as long as you stay away from the Grape Caulerpas.

BIGG D
01/19/2011, 04:35 PM
So far...sounds doable!!

Thanks for the help guys!

AuroraDrvr
01/19/2011, 11:03 PM
So far...sounds doable!!

Thanks for the help guys!
Very doable. Go for it. :thumbsup:

Joe Pusdesris
01/21/2011, 02:15 AM
Beware of yellowing agents. Use carbon.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/sept2002/Editorial.htm

BIGG D
01/21/2011, 01:30 PM
Beware of yellowing agents. Use carbon.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/sept2002/Editorial.htm

Great read!
Thanks Joe.

Now Im REALLY motivated to do this!!!

stumpovrtyme
01/27/2011, 05:11 PM
I have a planted tank hooked to my display. I love it cause instead of nori sheets you feed what youve grown. I even have calerpa with no problem just gotta keep that stuff cut back. Grows like crazy. Do it will work

BIGG D
01/28/2011, 06:15 PM
I have a planted tank hooked to my display. I love it cause instead of nori sheets you feed what youve grown. I even have calerpa with no problem just gotta keep that stuff cut back. Grows like crazy. Do it will work

Hook me up with some pics brother?

Thanks for the encouragement!!