PDA

View Full Version : T5 or Metal Halide?

abhishek@1985
01/19/2011, 12:58 PM
Hi friends,
I have started with a 24 inch x 15 inch (W) x 12 (H) = 15 gal with a 10 gal sump. But I am so very confused with the lightings as LEDs and good T5HOs like ATI are not available here .

I aim to keep zoanthids and LPS and later move to SPS tank...

As of now running a 70 W 6500 K mh as other kelvin rated bulbs are not available.

I plan to use any one of the 2 :-

1. A 150 W 14000 K or 20000K metal halide - Let me know which one will be better..

2. A 4x 24 W T5 HO chinese fixture with ATI tubes..

I am a little bit concerned with the 150 W mh as it might get too hot for my tank although I have a 1/4 HP chiller...

Please advice what to go for....

Uncle Salty 05
01/19/2011, 01:58 PM
I prefer 14K over 20K as far as MH bulbs go.
If your dimensions are correct the tank is 18.7 gallons.
Be careful with that 1/4hp chiller. I hope you have a reliable controller for it.
That thing could chill 18.7 gallons really quick.
Where are you located?
You could get a T5 unit that would let you keep just about anything but nothing looks as good as MH.

blynch002
01/19/2011, 04:14 PM
Either choice would be enough lighting for that size tanks and corals. IMO, I like the T5's better because they are less expensive to purchase, less expensive to operate (power bill), and with a mix of 14K and actenics, will look really good too. Oh yeah, and they dont produce near as much heat on that small tank. Hope that helps.

dzfish17
01/19/2011, 05:39 PM
I agree with both responses. Nothing looks as good as MH lighting but I think T-5s would be sufficient for your tank.

abhishek@1985
01/20/2011, 05:22 AM
Hmm...its still so much confusing for me.
Well here in India , we donot get ATI or Giessmann fixtures so the best way to do is to DIY a T5HO fixture and get the bulbs imported from singapore..

That's why was considering mh as its locally available and much cheaper even with electronic ballast.

abhishek@1985
01/20/2011, 12:08 PM
Also if I do get the mh , I can keep it much higher than the T5s and in that way I can reduce the heat over my tank....

I plan to keep the mh at 15 inches from the water surface and then lower it if needed..

Also had a stupid query ...

If I run a 150 W mh and 144 W of T5s , will they both add same amount of electricity bill hoping that both are on electronic ballast...

andresp
01/20/2011, 06:02 PM
If you are going with SPS corals you will want metal halides IMO. They are the closest to their natural lighting which is the sun. The only probalem can be the heat from them but just get a chiller or run fans.

Felixc395
01/20/2011, 07:20 PM
If you are going with SPS corals you will want metal halides IMO. They are the closest to their natural lighting which is the sun. The only probalem can be the heat from them but just get a chiller or run fans.

I'd have to say that the statement that MH is best for SPS is incorrect. T5 works just as good if not better. I really wouldn't say it's super close to natural sunlight either but I see where you're coming from with the shimmer thing.

Yes, heat is a huge problem with MH. T5's are much more cooler running and energy efficient. T5's also give more light per watt than MH. I do agree that very deep tanks are best with MH, but any relatively shallow or 30" and less T5 is a superb option. T5's also allow for a large amount of color options given different bulb configurations.