PDA

View Full Version : Left new food out....

arctictwist
01/19/2011, 04:48 PM
I bought mysis on the way to work and put it in the freezer all night there. But when i got home i left it in my bag by accident. It was there for about 8 hours, room is about 65 degrees. So it didnt get heated, but it wasnt frozen anymore. I through it back in the freezer right as i woke up, somehow it was the first thing i remembered. Is it ok or do i need to chuck it?

arctictwist
01/19/2011, 07:13 PM
bump

betamed
01/19/2011, 07:18 PM
probably ok. Did it smell funky?

arctictwist
01/19/2011, 07:35 PM
no. cant smell it at all. still sealed and all.

arctictwist
01/19/2011, 07:51 PM
well it was 3 packs i was stocking up, but also there last three so now i gotta wait.

divewsharks
01/20/2011, 01:10 AM
i wouldn't use it. same as i wouldn't eat or refreeze food i left out that had thawed.

arctictwist
01/20/2011, 02:24 AM
Well I guess I'll be on the safe side, although ive thawed and refroze chicken and eaten it another day and been fine. But I don't think I want to take the chance, it's 12 dollars....vs a few hundred in fish. Makes sense to me.

sslak
01/20/2011, 06:06 AM
Did the same thing with a brand new bar of cyclopeeze....

I tossed it.

Frustrating!

It's a 45 minute drive to my LFS where I can get frozen food so that just made it even more annoying.

arctictwist
01/20/2011, 06:54 AM
Yea the GOOD LFS that i buy everything else at is about the same distance, but there is a little pet store close by that carries the frozen food and some saltwater fish, but i wont buy there, the lady set me so far a stray when i started my first tank. Selling me the "best" equipment when really she sold me the crap of the industry. Lets just say crushed coral and a seaclone and leave it at that. lol. BUT regardless they are convenient for the food.

arctictwist
01/22/2011, 10:59 AM
straight from SFBB's website.....company that makes the mysis i get.

What do I do if frozen fish food thaws?

Use of Frozen Fish Food That Has Thawed

You may safely refreeze some foods that still contain ice crystals and are cold to the touch or if they have been kept below 45 degrees F for no more than 2 hours. If the temperature is above 45 degrees F, THROW IT OUT!
Treat completely thawed foods as follows:
These foods are perishable. Do not refreeze thawed fish food. Spoilage may begin before bad odors develop and may be toxic. Refreeze fish food only if ice crystals remain throughout the package. If you question the condition, THROW IT OUT!
Don't use if odor is offensive or if the freezer temperature has exceeded 45 degrees F for 2 hours or longer, THROW IT OUT!
Use common sense: If any foods have an offensive or questionable odor, DO NOT feed them to your fish.

in case you were wondering.

dublo8
01/22/2011, 11:46 AM
Most LFS have a cold pack they will give you if you ask. Even petco has them.

Toddrtrex
01/22/2011, 01:35 PM
Back when I managed a bar in Chicago, I had to take a food safety class -- to become a "certified food sanitation expert". Anyways, one thing that has always stuck with me is the "temperature danger zone", in this case if any refrigerated/frozen item is above 41* for more then 4 hours it is no longer considered safe to use, and must be thrown out.

snorvich
01/22/2011, 02:55 PM
Back when I managed a bar in Chicago, I had to take a food safety class -- to become a "certified food sanitation expert". Anyways, one thing that has always stuck with me is the "temperature danger zone", in this case if any refrigerated/frozen item is above 41* for more then 4 hours it is no longer considered safe to use, and must be thrown out.

Now that is a very interesting fact.