PDA

View Full Version : red slime remover question(Please Help)

tchndie
01/19/2011, 07:27 PM
Hey everybody. My DT have been up and running now for 7 months. I have recently started to have a brake out of red slime. My question is, I run carbon, gfo, and np pellets on my system. When i add red slime remover do I need to shut of my carbon,gfo and NP pellet reactors???? Also how long should I leave my skimmer off for???Any advise would greatly be appreciated!!!
Thanks

tchndie
01/19/2011, 08:19 PM
anybody????????????????

coralfish
01/19/2011, 08:23 PM
I have used it before....follow the directions TO THE LETTER...I shut off skimming and carbon during the entire treatment. I continued GFO & my nitrate reactors....Also keep an eye on your ammonia/nitrite levels. You can experience a bacteria crash, I always had a supply of bottled bacteria during my use. Also, I used it only as a LAST resort.

fishox
01/19/2011, 08:23 PM
you should avoid the red slime remover. Get rid of the red slime naturally. increase water change frequency, increase flow, decrease lighting period. Siphon out as much as you can when you do your changes. the cyano outbreak is a pretty normal stage in the maturation of a tank.

jpsnaps
01/19/2011, 08:29 PM
I assumed you've researched Red Slime Remover and know that not everyone has had a good experience with it, and have decide this is the way to go.

That said, I have used it before and it worked for me. Ever since I cut back on feeding, increased flow, run GFO, and it hasn't come back.

Just follow the instructions and you should be fine. Take out your carbon, shut off your gfo, skimmer etc. Put in an airstone. Dose the amount according to the instructions and leave it in there for the instructed amount of time. During this time you shouldn't be running carbon, skimmer off. After it's done, do a big water change and run carbon and anything else you run.

It's important to get an airstone in your tank and run it during the treatment. Also when doing instructed dose amount, account for the rocks, displaced water, etc. I dosed less than the amount instructed since I was paranoid and also along with the big water change in the instructions, I did small water changes everyday for the week following treatment. Also changed out the carbon a few times.

tchndie
01/19/2011, 08:34 PM
Thanks everybody for your input and advise! I have reduced my light time but I do know that i need to change my bulbs asap. The bulbs are in transit and just waiting for them to come in! I also increased my flow in my DT as well. I will keep everybody post on my situation and then will post what worked for me! Thanks again!!!

Dustin1300
01/19/2011, 11:37 PM
Continue to manually remove it as much as possible too. Good luck and stay away from red slime remover as much as possible as it can crash a tank:(

jenreef
01/19/2011, 11:47 PM
i had a little in my tank a few day ago and now it is gone i have been doseing hydrogen peroxide 1ml per 10 gallons. here is a link
http://www.bostonreefers.org/forums/showthread.php?106272-brown-algae-on-some-of-my-corals

in this thread is a link to flow and it will tell you all about it, and trust me it works i am so glad i did the dosing and now it is all gone i have even got rid of my bubble algae:)

Michael
01/20/2011, 01:19 AM
Turn off your skimmer or turn it down, it will go nuts when you add the remover, Remove the carbon too, it will absorb any chemicals in the water stream, providing its not exhausted.

Mike Ordner
01/20/2011, 10:30 AM
I have used this once and it did get rid of my cyano. Skimmer did not work correctly until about 5 or 6 days after treatment. Make sure you do your water changes as directed. I have air bubbles come in on my overflow so did not do any additional aeration. Do not expect powerheads to do anything for air.

Sk8r
01/20/2011, 10:40 AM
This product is not for new tanks, and not for tanks without a good skimmer. It does in pods, so if you have a dragonet, you may have to supplement pods at 300.00 a month for several months.

coralfish
01/21/2011, 02:08 PM
Have you looked at the product...Marine Algae Fix?

coralfish
01/21/2011, 02:15 PM
Very interesting this "Peroxide" thing. Anyone else every tried it and what are the dose rates/frequency?

JPhan1
01/21/2011, 03:42 PM
I used it in my tank and had great results. I turned off my skimmer for two days then did a 20% water change and all red slime was gone, but when I turned the skimmer on it still went nuts and overflowed a couple of times

LifeAquatic
01/21/2011, 04:25 PM
There is nothing wrong with using Red Slime remover. The prefered method is to diagnos the true casue of your slime issue as the remover will sometimes only act as a band-aid. Just follow the directions on the box. Shut off your skimmer, Carbon, GFO, and pellets. Treat the tank this way per the instructions. Do your water change. Keep all your equipment off for the next 48 hrs and do a 2nd water change. At this point you will be trying to remove as much red slime remover as possible so when you turn your equipment back on it wont foam like crazy.

philosophile
01/21/2011, 05:22 PM
interesting about the peroxide.....
I've been battling cyano too... I didn't want to use red slime, and I've been cutting back feeding to the point where I think things might starve....

But I also have heard of things like putting peroxide in your tank when the power goes out and stuff like that to help oxygenate the tank.

Hydrogen peroxide is a weak base according to wikipedia. So it'll bump your ph up a bit, but probably not much in the doses that the thread is describing (1ml per 10 gal).

I think I might try this,