PDA

View Full Version : Kalkwasser?

GT3
01/19/2011, 08:05 PM
Is this the supplement for better coral growth and should be added in any marine aquarium?? I have two zonalids, yellow polyps and mushrooms, they are all reproducing except yellow polyps. please advise.

funkejj
01/19/2011, 08:13 PM
Kalkwasser is a calcium additive. Everything you listed are softies that don't need calcium to grow and reproduce. Give them time and the yellows will grow leaps and bounds.

GT3
01/19/2011, 08:18 PM
oh really? how about green star polyps and xenia? I am planning to get some frags of them. If my calcium is running low faster than my wc schedule, is it better to top off with Kalkwasser or just do wc?

fishox
01/19/2011, 08:21 PM
kalk is a good way to maintain high ph levels in addition to Ca. If I were you I would try to maintain the levels through frequent small water changes with a quality salt mix.

Be careful of the GSP and Xenia. They both have a way of taking over your tank. A lot of people regret ever introducing either/both.

funkejj
01/19/2011, 08:21 PM
calcium is needed for stoney corals. SPS and LPS. Everything you list and want in the future is are soft coral.

GT3
01/19/2011, 08:39 PM
I have seen my LFS, they keep a tank of softies like zonathids and yellow polyps really good, the population is very close and tight together, how do they manage to do that? Is there any additives for softies?

ReefyReef
01/19/2011, 08:52 PM
Just maintain good water and lighting and your softies should reproduce. When corals grow and run out of room on a rock, thats when they look more tight and smushed together

funkejj
01/19/2011, 08:54 PM
Time and Patients.

GT3
01/19/2011, 09:44 PM
Just maintain good water and lighting and your softies should reproduce. When corals grow and run out of room on a rock, thats when they look more tight and smushed together

Very helpful, thanks!:thumbsup:

thegrun
01/19/2011, 10:02 PM
In addition to calcium, Kalk also helps to keep your alkalinity in balance. It's not necessary for your corals, but Kalk is so inexpensive and easy to use I would recommend it even for softies tanks.

GT3
01/19/2011, 10:05 PM
So... if it's not needed/necessary, why some people still recommends it??

GT3
01/19/2011, 10:19 PM
If I place softies say mushroom at the bottom of the tank but next to it are pile of rocks, would new mushroom grow upwards? Or do they only reproduce downwards?

Toddrtrex
01/19/2011, 11:28 PM
Kalk is used to maintain Cal and Alk, with certain tanks (( usually smaller, newer and with lesser amounts of SPS )), Kalk can provide all the Cal and Alk that a tank needs. Over time -- higher demand for Cal and Alk -- might have to use 2 part but kalk can still be beneficial to the tank. To this day I still drip kalk, along with dosing 2 part.

I_B_Ken
01/20/2011, 03:04 AM
So... if it's not needed/necessary, why some people still recommends it??

A lot of things in this hobby fall under the "not needed, but recommended" category.

Personally, I've found, if I can afford it, and it won't harm anything, might as well look into doing it. The corals you want- mostly softies and zoas- don't necessarily need kalk added to the water, but it can't ever hurt- as long as you use it correctly and don't over-do it.

Research the corals- and fish- you want before you get them. I got a kenya tree without knowing much about it....and much later after getting so fed up with kenya trees that I was literally pulling them out of my tank and throwing them away I wish I had never gotten the first one.

rogersb
01/20/2011, 08:54 AM
If you have coraline that will also eat calcium and alkalinity and will need supplementing to keep the numbers in check. If you want to try kalk, you could play with half dose saturation or even less and see where that takes you.

GT3
01/20/2011, 08:59 AM
Are you suppose to mix kalk powder same time as you do WC or a day before??

JMartin104
01/20/2011, 11:13 AM
In addition to calcium, Kalk also helps to keep your alkalinity in balance. It's not necessary for your corals, but Kalk is so inexpensive and easy to use I would recommend it even for softies tanks.

The first time I used Kalk, my Ca did not rise, but my alk went through the roof. My corals started showing signs of distress and quickly got off the Kalk until I could understand how it works and when it's needed - it did much more harm than good.

keinreis
01/21/2011, 01:43 PM
time and patients.

+1

wbdevers
01/21/2011, 02:45 PM
Not to hijack the OP's thread, but how do you mix kalk? I remember seeing that you mix it with RO/DI water until it precipitates out then drip that solution. As you add more RO/DI water to your drip container it just basically piles up on the bottom. Doesn't seem like a very accurate way of dosing something.

thump9
01/21/2011, 03:00 PM
Not to hijack the OP's thread, but how do you mix kalk? I remember seeing that you mix it with RO/DI water until it precipitates out then drip that solution. As you add more RO/DI water to your drip container it just basically piles up on the bottom. Doesn't seem like a very accurate way of dosing something.

U dont want that particulate matter in dosing......u take the top water/mid water and leave the particulate matter behind.........and drip/dose that

rivoth
01/21/2011, 03:04 PM
Tells you all about adding kalk

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-01/rhf/index.php

chimmike
01/21/2011, 03:22 PM
You will regret getting xenia when it takes over your tank. that stuff is worse than GSP.

Tho, I did have GSP growing off a rock actually grew on my substrate :rolleyes:

wbdevers
01/21/2011, 03:40 PM
Thanks Thump. Didn't mean to imply using the precipitate. Just meant that you use it when it's a super saturated solution and only the water on top.

Thanks for the link. I will check it out.

Jstdv8
01/21/2011, 04:43 PM
Where's Sk8er when we need him?