PDA

View Full Version : Fish Ideas for Newbie- 3x3x2 reef and fish tank

sarah12345
01/20/2011, 03:21 AM
Hi Everyone,
My name is Sarah and I've been keeping freshwater fish for about 6 years now. Bred and kept many things but have decided to take a leap into saltwater fishkeeping/reefkeeping. It's early days now, I've never kept salt before so do not know much about it as of yet. Just enjoying the possibilities at this point in time.

The tank I would like to use for my first salt tank is my 3x3x2. Was a discus display but I feel it would be better suited to my dream starter reef. I am wanting to create (slowly) a beautiful reefscape with many reefsafe fish. The only fish I must have in the setup so far are a pair of picasso clowns that I absolutely adore. Also I would like a feature anemone for them (I know this will be a challenge).

Could anyone reccomend what kind of fish you would keep in such a display. The dimensions of the tank are restrictive lengthwise and I'm not sure what reef-safe fish would suit something like this. I love the look of many dwarf angels (gasp) and butterflyfish, prefering fish with bulkier shape rather than thin fish if that makes sense.

Throw some ideas my way :D

AaronM
01/20/2011, 06:11 AM
I've had both a coral beauty and then a flame angel. Both have fit in well with the rest of the peaceful community, consisting of a lawnmower blenny, yellow wrasse, 2 ocellaris clownfish and a mimic tang. Heard it said they can pick at coral, but mine only ever pick at rock. Both peaceful except for some occasional half hearted tail flicking...

Lemon peel mimic tang? Mines yellow with purple eyeshadow and sideburns atm...

sarah12345
01/20/2011, 07:31 AM
Love the idea of the coral angel, was thinking that already. Most likely will be on the stocking list. I love regal angelfish too. Any other suggestions anyone?

TP123
01/20/2011, 09:00 AM
Most of the centropyge angels, fairy/flasher wrasses, damsels (aggressive), lined wrasses (aggressive, i.e., 6-lined wrasse), clownfish, coris wrasses, about any goby or blenny, or cardinals should be okay.

Butterflies might be pushing it.

Once have a list, some of the more knowledgeable on here can help you out with compatibility.

Beaun
01/20/2011, 09:13 AM
Coral beauties have a high chance of nipping at corals; there are better, more reef safe, alternatives in the dwarf angel category. Fairy and flasher wrasses are good along with most from the halichoeres genus. Clowns are nice, but can get very aggressive. Gobies and blennies are both nice additions for smaller fish. Basslest are also good choices for that size tank. Keep in mind while choosing fish, the recommended sizes are for standard size tanks. Even though the tank is ~134 gallons, it is still just 3' long so stick with reccomended fish for a 3' tank.

Angel*Fish
01/20/2011, 11:12 AM
Because of the shape of the tank, depending on your rock scaping, I might not put more than one species of angel in there. Maybe you could have a pair? How many g is that? Angels are best added after your reefscaping is complete and well established. The way they spend their day is grazing on rock for detritus, microalgae and sponges. If there's not a lot of rock surface that's richly populated, then I'd wait. It's not so much that you are trying to fulfill their dietary needs solely from the rock, but that the fish is more comfortable in that environment, less likely to be stressed and therefore less prone to disease.

Very important for angels and multiple angels is arrangement and amount of rockwork.

small alien
01/20/2011, 11:14 AM
Regal angels are generally considered a more sensitive angel and for more experienced keepers and should probably have a longer tank.

Angel*Fish
01/20/2011, 11:23 AM
Regal angels are generally considered a more sensitive angel and for more experienced keepers and should probably have a longer tank.
Definitely!
And not all damsels are aggressive, there are some very nice community damsels.

Butterfly fish are not beginner fish. There's an awful saying in the hobby : butterfly rhymes with die. Seriously, don't get one of these until you understand all the considerations and issues and what will be required of you.

Mixing angels requires reading up also. Just throwing any Centropyges in the tank is asking for trouble. There's more to it.

sarah12345
01/20/2011, 04:29 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone, again I'm a total beginner so I don't know these things. I realise that if/when I want an angel or butterfly that will require a mature tank, careful planning and the like. Haven't jumped in just yet!

Could someone tell me what types of angel (single fish) I could have in the tank later down the track?

Angel*Fish
01/20/2011, 10:16 PM
I still don't have an idea of how big that tank is -- number of gallons would help. It partly depends on whether you're having corals and what your priority is. I would say don't go any larger than flames and CB's -- If you are very strongly favoring your corals, perhaps the safest would be the argis or flamebacks. I'd think an argi pair would be nice. Because we live closest to where argi's are collected, it's much easier to get a juvenile to make a pair. Angels are extremely easy to pair EXCEPT that you have to have a male and a juvenile/female (and the male should be the bigger fish). But it can be a tall order to obtan juvi/females or to sex them. Almost all the Centropyges I see at the LFS are already male. The problem is they can change really quickly - like 2 weeks. (Angels start out as females, depending on environment some change to male. Once male, for all practical purposes, assume that the fish will not be changing back)

AaronM
01/21/2011, 12:00 AM
What beaun said, approx 130 g.

Angel*Fish
01/21/2011, 09:26 AM
Thanks ;) It's 3x3 and 2 high? Then from corner to corner it stretches about 4 feet. Eventually 2 different angel species might work in there, but the rock arrangement would have to be done with just the angels in mind. If your plan it to put one bommie in the center like an island, then I wouldn't have more than one Centropyge species