PDA

View Full Version : Pairing up fish...

srusso
01/20/2011, 09:35 AM
So I have though about pairing up a few of live stock I have with a mate. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with having pairs in a display tank. Any suggestions, things I should/shouldn't do...?

I want to pair up the following all in one tank

Blood Shrimp
Ocellaris clownfish
Mandarin

Ps. I know that the mandarin may have trouble with food. The one I have now is already eating frozen foods. Hoping to find a female that does the same, or picks it up from the male.

srusso
01/20/2011, 03:37 PM
any one?

billsreef
01/20/2011, 09:51 PM
Blood Shrimp are hermaphrodites, so any two will do. For the clownfish, get a small mature individual to add to your existing fish. The larger fish will mature into a female, and the smaller one will become male. The mandarin I take it, you already know about.

srusso
01/21/2011, 11:57 AM
Thanks!

So I did some reading, it seems for:
(let me know if this sounds right)

Blood shrimp - my rules are make sure they are close in size and that they have enough room to share.

Clown - as I already have a large one, shoot for something a bit smaller? Or a lot smaller? Have people had issues with two clowns just not liking each other?
http://184.72.239.143/mu/457edd51-c932-7b04.jpg

Mandarin is easy to pair up, but I was worried that having others in breeding mode at the same time...

billsreef
01/21/2011, 02:58 PM
Blood shrimp - my rules are make sure they are close in size and that they have enough room to share.

That will work fine.

Clown - as I already have a large one, shoot for something a bit smaller? Or a lot smaller? Have people had issues with two clowns just not liking each other

The smaller the better. Sometimes clowns will have difficulty with accepting a mate, primarily the more aggressive species. Occellaris are usually easy going and typically you won't see more than a bunch of head shaking.

Mandarin is easy to pair up, but I was worried that having others in breeding mode at the same time...

Not a problem ;) They could care less about each other, and having different spawning modes have no competition for spawning space.