PDA

View Full Version : Setup Choice: LED vs. T5

evergreenreeftank
01/20/2011, 02:21 PM
So after a couple of weeks of research I have narrowed things down to 2 choices. 3 AI Sol Blue units dropped into the top of my canopy (cost around $1700) or 8 T5 Ready Fit Tek bulbs (36" units since the 48" units won't fit in my canopy, cost at about $700). I realize its hard to compare these 2 but I have to consider how close to the water line by lights will be and what will fit in my existing canopy. I would love to be able to ditch my canopy and hang the AI units from the ceiling but that has been vetoed by the designing boss around here.

Any thoughts?

evergreenreeftank
01/21/2011, 07:57 AM
Bump

Drix
01/21/2011, 09:06 AM
You may find you are unhappy with tue color quality and options the led's gove you. With that said I use t5s for color and leds, and if I could i'd use t8's.

thegrun
01/21/2011, 09:13 AM
I would check out the LED in person. If you like the color, in the long run it will save you money with bulb replacements and energy savings plus you get the shimmer look with LED. You do get much wider color options with T-5s.

Acrotrdco
01/21/2011, 01:13 PM
I tend to disagree that you get much wider color options with T5's, there're lots of different wavelength LED bulbs available now, covering the entire blue spectrum from 405nm, 420nm, 445nm, 460nm, 480nm, 503nm, as well as cool white like 12000K white bulbs, etc.

You can even add a tint of red by adding red LED bulbs to make that T5 Fuji Purple look if you like.

This is the FTS of my tank, if I cover the top part and didn't tell you what lighting I used, would you guess it's T5?

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_NY50WtBKN8U/TTMzy0rOcrI/AAAAAAAAB0w/2idu2n7aSnM/s912/DSC_2931.JPG

Read my tank build thread if you're wondering what color bulbs I used.

chimmike
01/21/2011, 01:54 PM
Acro, I think just by looking at your pic, that you're using too much red. Of course, it's all in the eye of the beholder, but the red LED usage is quite obvious. Reds are usually used sparingly just to highlight the spectrum gaps.

I think that as long as you cool the LED's in the canopy you'll be happy iwth them

or for significantly less money, you can get T5's.

I'd spend the money and find some VERY good reflectors for the T5's and then get the combo suggestion from Grim in the T5 thread.

That's just my opinion :) Take it with some salt 'n pepper!

Acrotrdco
01/21/2011, 02:04 PM
Acro, I think just by looking at your pic, that you're using too much red. Of course, it's all in the eye of the beholder, but the red LED usage is quite obvious. Reds are usually used sparingly just to highlight the spectrum gaps.

I think that as long as you cool the LED's in the canopy you'll be happy iwth them

I'd spend the money and find some VERY good reflectors for the T5's and then get the combo suggestion from Grim in the T5 thread.

Indeed, red has to be used sparingly, but I've seen tanks using ATI 8x T5HO rig, with something like 3x ATI AquaBlue Special (looks like 20000K), 4x ATI AquaBlue Plus and 1x KZ Fuji Purple, and that tank looks very much like mine.

In fact I was blending my color based on the T5HO spectrum, especially the KZ Fuji Purple spectrum, here's the color I used:
http://www.reef.hk/forum/uploads/monthly_09_2010/post-2746-1285175448_thumb.jpg
:thumbsup:

jwoyshnar
01/21/2011, 02:12 PM
+1. you may be getting some color pop but the spot lighty colors on the rock and sand don't make it too natural looking. Please don't take it the wrong way, but for now I think t5 is the way to go.

greech
01/21/2011, 02:19 PM
I am no lighting expert by any stretch but I have had a 4 bulb T5 over my tank since the beginning and like it a lot. Just the other day I added a single Panorama LED Module to supplement and I am very pleased with the outcome. I get the color I want from my T5s as well as the shimmer and point source benefits that LEDs provide. I will probably add another LED module to round things out. I just wanted to mention this especially since you have a canopy and these modules are perfect for that application. On a 48" tank, I think 2 or 3 of these along with the T5s would give you a great look. Of course you will still need to decide which colors to go with for both but T5s and LEDs seem to compliment each other very well.

Of course there are many LED supplements out there and you could certainly get nicer, higher PAR LEDs supplements if money is not an issue. I was just looking at AIs website the other day and they have something called a Flare which is an interlocking LED tube. CoralSky also makes a nice higher end, high power LED bar and there are many others out there.

My Panorama module was $100 and it's great. Sorry for the long post. HTH.

Beautiful tank BTW Acro!!!

Acrotrdco
01/21/2011, 02:22 PM
The spot lighty colors were from the shimmering effect, which you don't get with T5's ;p

They're not obvious when you're looking at the tank, but it's there when you're taking photos.

p.s. thanks Graham :)

evergreenreeftank
01/24/2011, 04:47 PM
So now I have a third option I am considering. I saw the Reef Bright LED modules at Elite Reef and they look awesome, especially for the total price. Looks like for under $1000 I can get 4 36" units which I think will give me the coverage I need. They will also fit nicely in my canopy.

Anyone have experience with these?

chimmike
01/24/2011, 05:39 PM
Indeed, red has to be used sparingly, but I've seen tanks using ATI 8x T5HO rig, with something like 3x ATI AquaBlue Special (looks like 20000K), 4x ATI AquaBlue Plus and 1x KZ Fuji Purple, and that tank looks very much like mine.

In fact I was blending my color based on the T5HO spectrum, especially the KZ Fuji Purple spectrum, here's the color I used:
http://www.reef.hk/forum/uploads/monthly_09_2010/post-2746-1285175448_thumb.jpg
:thumbsup:

Nice spectrum chart!

Acrotrdco
01/24/2011, 08:12 PM
So now I have a third option I am considering. I saw the Reef Bright LED modules at Elite Reef and they look awesome, especially for the total price. Looks like for under $1000 I can get 4 36" units which I think will give me the coverage I need. They will also fit nicely in my canopy.

Anyone have experience with these?

What kind of corals are you keeping? Those are barely bright enough for LPS / acans / mushrooms, if you want to keep SPS you'll need to look elsewhere.

cveverly
01/24/2011, 08:41 PM
How about a hybrid of T5 and LEDs?

That is going to be my next project. I am building linear LED strips using XPG and XPE LEDs and alternating T5s with individual reflectors between them.

Acrotrdco
01/24/2011, 08:51 PM
How about a hybrid of T5 and LEDs?

That is going to be my next project. I am building linear LED strips using XPG and XPE LEDs and alternating T5s with individual reflectors between them.

It should work, but I'm pretty sure you'll eventually choose to get rid of the T5 and use LED exclusively :lol:

USC-fan
01/24/2011, 08:54 PM
Dont think LED is ready for prime time. That why I'm using t5s.

cveverly
01/24/2011, 08:57 PM
It should work, but I'm pretty sure you'll eventually choose to get rid of the T5 and use LED exclusively :lol:

You may be right, I am thinking I can use T5 to fill the spectrum void that I will have since I am only using cool white and royal blue LEDs.

Acrotrdco
01/24/2011, 09:00 PM
Or get more blue LED bulbs with different wavelength for that purpose, like I did :D

evergreenreeftank
01/27/2011, 09:59 AM
So I am going to go with 4 36" Reef Brites. 2 Blue, 1 White and 1 50/50.

If I have issues on the sides I can always add some 12" units front to back on the outsides. I don't think this will be necessary though. With my tank mostly mushrooms, zoas, frogspawn, leathers and ricordias I think I will have adequate lighting.

Can't wait to see the change!

Beaun
01/27/2011, 10:09 AM
The ReefBrites blues are very blue, I would go with 1 white, 1 blue, 2 50/50

wesleyforbes2
01/28/2011, 04:39 PM
Acro- Why don't you think that the ReefBrites won't be enough for SPS? I have heard contrary.