PDA

View Full Version : HOB style 30 gallon Sump/Refugium idea

The Curious
01/20/2011, 02:40 PM
Heya RC. I just bartered a tank cleaning for a standard 30 gallon aquarium that I plan on using as a sump/refugium for my 55 gallon reef tank. While researching return pumps I noticed the rapid reduction of g/h, due to head loss. This got me thinking...

I am currently running CPR HOB Refugium w/ live rock and chaetomorpha, with only a rio 200 powering it. Obviously If I get a rio 2100 for a 30 gallon sump that would be a drastic improvement, but there is still a large amount of head loss.

So what I am planning is to build a stand for my 30 gallon that allows the tank to sit 3-4 inches higher than my main tank, mimicking CPR's HOB design. Then I'll buy some diamond coated drill-bits from glass-holes.com, drill in the proper spots, and add some baffles, in order to create this...
http://i786.photobucket.com/albums/yy145/The_Curious/Sump_7.jpg

Then, with stand completed, The side view of the main tank and the sump would look like this...
http://i786.photobucket.com/albums/yy145/The_Curious/HOBplan.png

I would then use bulkheads to plumb the sump, again mimicking CPR's HOB refugium plan, plug in a rio 2100, and presto.

This is my plan...Anyone ever tried this? Anyone have any tips/ideas? I have not started yet, so I would like to get some feedback before embarking on this plan. Thanks guys.

t11t5
01/21/2011, 12:00 PM
the money to make all this would have paid for your bigger return pump..

The Curious
01/22/2011, 07:48 AM
Actually, All I'll need is to buy a couple bulkheads and a diamond coated drill-bit. I do occasional work in a warehouse where I can get some free wood together. Having to purchase the wood would push this towards being more expensive of a task. However, If I build a "normal" sump on the ground, I will have to pay $50+ for an overflow box. This "HOB" design only needs 1 pump to operate once built. It will cost around $45 for the supplies I need from glass-holes.com, and just under $40 dollars for a rio2100.

It was just an idea, a way of avoiding having to buy an overflow kit.

coolfish5
01/22/2011, 08:05 AM
I think its a useful concept. Lower head pressure requires smaller pump and less power to operate. The low head approach is actually fairly big in aquaculture setting where the cost to run the pumps can be a huge expense. I think the biggest drawback is if its against a wall it might be difficult to access for maintenance, and the additional space requirements/aesthetics of pushing the tank further into the room. Gravity feed from the refugium to the tank would prob be good for pods and such.