PDA

View Full Version : Fiberglass screen burning?

Coasterfrk
01/20/2011, 06:54 PM
Hello I used fiberglass screen over my tank to acclimate my corals to my new 250w mh and mid day the house kinda smells like burnt electronics. The screen doesn't appear discolored melted or burnt anyone have any experience like this or recommend another acclimation method.

vaporlockv2
01/21/2011, 12:29 AM
It might be the fibreglass that is giving off the smell. If it is possible you could raise the MH so that the corals have time to acclimate and lower them over time. You could also just try a regular piece of screen over the tank. I got a piece of screen from a window that was plastic mesh not metal and it worked great for me.

Uncle Salty 05
01/21/2011, 07:39 AM
I would check all of your connections and power sources to make sure there isn't something else causing the smell.
How far off the screen is the bulb?
One drop of water strategically placed in the right spot on a power strip can cause the smell you describe without tripping a GFCI.

Toddrtrex
01/21/2011, 09:52 AM
I would be surprised if it was the screening -- I have had mine pretty close before without an issue;

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/toddrtrex/33/Lightacc6.jpg

tinkerman
01/21/2011, 10:11 AM
If you have a steath pro heater this might be the smell. Mine smelled like burnt electronics when the casing split. Worst smell ever.