PDA

View Full Version : Need help with hole on glass

Allmost
01/21/2011, 10:05 AM
Hello all,
I have a 130 G tank.

drilling holes on the bottom for overflow and return.

I want about 1000 GPH-1500 GPH flow through the sump.

Please advice the Size of hole I should ask the manufacturer to drill, and the size of bulkhead I need. HIGHLY APPRECIATE ANY HELP.

this is what I was thinking :

Drill a 1" for return, with a 3/4" bulkhead and 3/4" piping ? does this sound good ? Eheim pump or tunze Silence for return.

DRAIN :
drill a 1.75" hole, use 1.5" bulkhead and 1.5" piping, DURSO (this will take all flow right ? all 1500 GPH)

Drill a 1.25" hole, and use a 1" bulkhead and piping, a bit higher than the DURSO, Used as Emergency.

Will this work fine ? will it be safe ?

can anyone advice o the noise level Im gonna experience ?

THANKS

chimmike
01/21/2011, 10:09 AM
noise level? like gushing water?

do the beananimal. It's silent.

Allmost
01/21/2011, 10:39 AM
noise level? like gushing water?

do the beananimal. It's silent.

yes noise level, any Idea how loud the set up I described would be ?

and yes, gushing as well as other noises ....

do not like beananimal, I do not like restricting flow of drains ...

soooo, any Idea about bulkhead and hole size ? can you PLEASE comment on my questions if you know ?

or anyone else ? ??!!!

seems like noone wants to share !

abezr
02/04/2011, 11:20 AM
for a 1500 gph i think you would be fine with a 1.5" hole. if you want to reduce some of the gushing water sound, ive used a flexible tubing (looks sorta like vacuum tubing) and for me ruffles in the shape of the tube muffle the sound for me... Ive got a 150 gallon tank and thats what i did... similar set up to you, 1.5" hole with a 1.75" bulkhead and a 1340 gph pump but because of the height of the outflow id say it pumps around 800 gph. I think your best bet is to get a good quiet pump to reduce most of the noise your scared about

hvacman250
02/04/2011, 06:00 PM
yes noise level, any Idea how loud the set up I described would be ?

and yes, gushing as well as other noises ....

do not like beananimal, I do not like restricting flow of drains ...

soooo, any Idea about bulkhead and hole size ? can you PLEASE comment on my questions if you know ?

or anyone else ? ??!!!

seems like noone wants to share !

1500 GPH thru a drain is going to be LOUD, unless you do a siphon like a BeanAnimal, as was suggested. You are regulating the speed of the siphon, not restricting the drain.

Take it for what it's worth, but you will hate the noise trying to push air/water down even a 1.5" pipe. you will end up turning the pump down to half the amount you want, or change to full siphon after the tank is running when its near impossible to do.

NanoReefWanabe
02/04/2011, 06:25 PM
to get 1500gph without any sound will likely require a 6" drain or more....what you have described is basically a herbie drain system,however you have no way to control teh siphon with out a gate valve in the drain....your 1.5" drain will siphon about 3000gph, if your pump cant keep up it will constantly flush like a toilet as the siphon starts and breaks continuously...pretty much the noisest setup you could build.

the only way you can accomplish this is with either a herbie drain or a bean animal drain...i would not be worried about restricting the drains with gate valves in the bean design as there is redundancy built into the design making it COMPLETELY fail safe....in other words there is no way it could flood...ANY other drain scenario you try will certainly have little to NO fail safe capacity...

quite honestly there is no other way a tank should be drained other then by Bean's design unless space is really restricted and there no option to drill a third hole, then the herbie method is the only other choice that should be made....ANY and ALL other drain systems in my opinion are basically useless...for what it is worth a 1.5" drain running silently via any method other then the bean or herbie will only get you about 300gph...

as for your bulkhead hols...get the bulkheads first or tell them to get them for you...sizes vary from manufacturer to manufacturer...but generally a 1.5" bulkhead requires a 2-3/8" hole...a 1" bulkhead requires a 1-3/4" hole...

ktg113
02/04/2011, 08:49 PM
I would go coast to coast overflow with the bean overflow and yes I would get the bulkheads before drilling because I have been looking into drilling my 180 for the bean and have noticed the bulk head requires 3/4 in bigger hole I believe is what is. Ex 1/2 in bulk head = 1-1/4 hole but I would double check.

I have talked to a few people with the bean and the only sound they hear would be the ripple of the water and the occasional skimmer pump

That's my 2 cents good luck