PDA

View Full Version : Frozen food

mtaswt
01/21/2011, 10:17 AM
Do you rinse ALL of your frozen foods before adding it to the tank? If so what's the best, or should I say easiest approach.

Especially when adding Selcon or garlic to it.....

fickle1
01/21/2011, 10:25 AM
I rinse my frozen Mysis in a brine shrimp net. It catches all of the little pieces of shrimp but still allows good water flow to rinse everything else out. The only place that had them near me was Petco. It was only a few bucks. After that I dump it into a shot glass and add Selcon and let it soak for a while before feeding.

MrTuskfish
01/21/2011, 10:26 AM
Do you rinse ALL of your frozen foods before adding it to the tank? If so what's the best, or should I say easiest approach.

Especially when adding Selcon or garlic to it.....
Sorry, I can't come up with an answer that combines the "best" and the "easiest". This seems true for most questions in this hobby/addiction. However, when using vitamins, I like to use freeze-dried foods, they really soak it up. Because frozen foods are so moist, I'm not sure much of the vitamins reach the fish.

shifty51008
01/21/2011, 10:26 AM
i only feed rod's and PE mysis and no need to rinse those foods but other foods may need to be rinsed. i just used a brine shrimp net and ran some rodi water over it when I 1st started frozen before switching to what I feed now.

Allmost
01/21/2011, 10:31 AM
I feed alot of frozen, PE and ....
I place it in a little cup, fill it up with RO/DI water (cold of course) and let it sit for a bit.

it will thaw the shrimp, but not too fast to make the shrimp loose its structure (my seahorses care about that !)

then I pure out the water when the food is fully thawed, and add some salt water to the glass, wait a min, and feed ....

sometimes, after thawing and puring out the RO/DI water, I add selcon and other oils, let it soak for 10 mins, then back to step one with RO/DI Water. selcon on frozen food will not stick, so its really not worth it, it will get washed off as soon as it hits ure tank ... so to enrich frozen, I place some frozen PE mysis in a bag, add some selcon, let is thaw, add no water, once thawed, freeze it fast, this will keep the shrimps structure adn integrity ..

and when I am busy, I just drop it in and let it thaw in tank while fish eat it lol this will inroduce po4 into system thuogh.

mtaswt
01/21/2011, 10:40 AM
I rinse my frozen Mysis in a brine shrimp net. It catches all of the little pieces of shrimp but still allows good water flow to rinse everything else out. The only place that had them near me was Petco. It was only a few bucks. After that I dump it into a shot glass and add Selcon and let it soak for a while before feeding.

That's what I do with the shot glass.....but getting it out of the net back into the shot glass doesn't work out quite that easily. Usually makes more of a mess than it's worth!

firstlight10
01/21/2011, 03:18 PM
I may be wrong here but my understanding is rinsing frozen food has the potential to rinse off some of the nutrients. I just let my food thaw in the fridge until feeding time then drop into my tank.

Swolek
01/21/2011, 06:06 PM
Some of my foods (like oyster eggs) don't get rinsed because I have so many filter feeders that can make use of the "juice" (but this isn't always true for most tanks). When I do rinse foods, I place the food in a small net and rinse it that way. Only extremely small pieces get rinsed out.

Bashbro
01/22/2011, 11:26 AM
I take the frozen cube and put it in a veggie clip and my fish love to come nip at it from the cube... no problems with my method yet