PDA

View Full Version : scatt info wanted/experience helpfull

agreeive?fish
01/21/2011, 02:04 PM
Is a scat reef safe?, specificaly softies and shrimp and small fish. i have one that i have had for 6 years in marine conditions and due to his loss of an eye due to an injury and his bostorus tank mates i would like to move him to my more peacefull reef(softy)

AquaReeferMan
01/21/2011, 03:46 PM
Scats, for the most part, are going to be reef safe. They will not bother most corals or inverts. They do a great job at eating aiptasia so things like that nature might be picked on. They also do a number on any tube worms found in the rock. They are great algae grazers as well.

agreeive?fish
01/21/2011, 06:00 PM
thanks aquareeferman good to know and since i dont have anything that resembles aptasia in any way and the only worms i know of in the tank are bristle worms and if he eats a few of them (lots a fews of them) thats ok they will keep thier effective cleaning population up enough the way those things breed

agreeive?fish
01/22/2011, 08:44 AM
bump for saturday morning opinions

AquaReeferMan
01/22/2011, 08:57 AM
Yeah they are interesting fish. Ive had a Green one in the past in my softie reef with a green spotted puffer.

agreeive?fish
01/22/2011, 10:26 AM
mine has never shown any intrest in any fish, always eats like a pig and i do have 3 of the green spotted puffers as well in my 7 * 2 fowlr tank and you sure can tell by their colors what mood they are in

Sk8r
01/22/2011, 11:52 AM
I had a 300g tank full of palm-sized greens and yellows with a big bichir, that topped the max size given in F&S, and absolutely loved that tank. Tubifex worms were their favorite. The ONLY problem is going to be their waste output.

AquaReeferMan
01/22/2011, 04:12 PM
The ONLY problem is going to be their waste output.

Very true. Good Skimmer and weekly water changes.