PDA

View Full Version : Rose Anemone out break in my tank!?!?!

timistim
01/23/2011, 08:15 AM
I got a rose from a friend 5 weeks ago. It split once after just a week or two. Now that both have healed up the mother is working on splitting again. She has only been fully healed for a week or so. Do they really split this often? What am I doing to make them split so much? It is cool to have more anemones and all, but I don't really want a tank that is nothing but anemones. Guess I will need to start selling them soon.

austinh
01/23/2011, 08:22 AM
im sure someone else is gonna ask, so ill be the first, how old is the tank, what size, and how much water do you change, these can all have an effect on nems splitting, if its too new of a tank or too small and params are changing alot then they will split

timistim
01/23/2011, 08:25 AM
It is a new tank so that may be it 30 gallon with sump. All of the rock is old from other peoples tanks close to my house. Only the sand is truly new. Everything else looks great, coraline is already starting to grow all over the tank, and my small algae bloom I had is mostly gone.

timistim
01/23/2011, 08:28 AM
Opps forgot to mention the water change, I am doing ~10% water changes almost weekly right now. The last one I did waited 2 weeks.

austinh
01/23/2011, 08:42 AM
that sound to be the issue i guess the fact that you have "old" rock could be the only thing in your favor, but its not usually recommended to add nems till the tank is 6 mos or better...that being said it can still work if you keep up water changes, if they start to look bad try to find someone that can hold them for you....thats just my opinion i know lots of people will have different ones and will say you shouldnt have added one yet but its too late now...lol

Toddrtrex
01/23/2011, 08:42 AM
What are your water parameters -- with numbers
What lights do you have?

E. Quadricolors will split both when conditions are good (( extra energy to put into that )) or when conditions are poor (( trying to save itself, hoping that the clone will find better conditions )).

timistim
01/23/2011, 09:04 AM
My brother is really big into the hobby and he insisted that if I use the old rock and keep up with the water changes that I will not have a problem. I am also running carbon and GFO. The roses look beautiful though and I do feed them quite a bit, plus my clarkii hosts them as well. I know the first one that I got did suffer a little damage to his foot in removal so that may be why he split so soon. But now does not make a whole lot of sense to me.

As far as paramaters they are all pretty normal, 0 for amonia, 0 for no2 and no3. I don't test calcium or phosphates yet. PH is ~ 8 depending on if I open my windows or not. I am running 2 65watt PC 50/50.

I don't have a whole lot in the tank right now, just a clean up crew of about 12 snails a mix of turbos, astreas, some smalls ones that I forget the name. I have a few frags as well. GSP, Leather, Polyps, Acan, Duncan, Mushroom, 2 things I don't know the name of, and a galaxia. All very small frags. I really should find out the name of those two things now that I think about it...

Toddrtrex
01/23/2011, 09:06 AM
What is your salinity/SG at? Temp?

Those lights are borderline for being enough -- how long ago did you change the bulbs?

timistim
01/23/2011, 09:22 AM
Sorry about forgetting the Salinity and temp 80 and 1.026 - checked with a recently calibrate refractometer.

The bulbs are a month and a half old. I have been running them a little longer than I know I should lately, because I did not have a timer installed till recently. I was running light for about 12 hours a day, not I am down to 8 with the installation of the timer.

If it will help things I can add another PC fixture with new bulbs bumping me up to 3 or 4 PC's would that be a good idea until I get my metals?