PDA

View Full Version : Large tank DIY

spieszak
01/23/2011, 08:53 AM
I've been reading some large build threads lately and it seems the ones I really like all end up failing eventually, or with someone getting out. I've been considering a large build for a while, and it could just be the threads I've read, but I'm wondering..

If you DIY'd your large tank, how long has it been up and running? Are you happy with it? FTS pics would be great, and noting whether or not you have a build thread. (or not, I can always just search username to find it)

Just trying to getting a feeling for the longevity of the builds on a longer term.

(By the way, couldn't figure if this post goes in DIY or Large Reef Tanks.. if someone thinks it'd be better in large tanks let me know, or a Mod could just move it I suppose. Just didn't want to cross post.)

spieszak
01/24/2011, 08:39 AM
Gonna bump this, even if its only to decide if I should move it to the other forum.

spieszak
01/30/2011, 02:17 PM
150 views, no replies...(not counting myself here)

sarmo
01/30/2011, 02:20 PM
there is a great build thread in the large tank group. it is a 750 "L" shape. can't remember the exact name but do a search there.

spieszak
01/30/2011, 02:53 PM
there is a great build thread in the large tank group. it is a 750 "L" shape. can't remember the exact name but do a search there.
I'm not interested in the build threads necessarily, what I'm interested in is the 1,2,3,10 year later follow ups. I can spend weeks reading the threads, but they all end.. either in disaster or just in posts.. I haven't found any that say "its now 5 years in, and I'm still thrilled with my tank"...
The intent of this thread is to judge success rate in the longer term, and whether or not large tank builders eventually just get bored and wonder why they spent their life savings on a tank. I've seen a few, but was hoping to find a way to "consolidate" that info here.

THEDLO
01/30/2011, 03:00 PM
lol i dont think its possible to be satisfied for long....im sure those that have the large tank would ideally like to go bigger. we're human we always want MOAR lol i want a 350 and ive only had my 120 for a year...and after the 350 im pretty sure id want somthing like a 1200g. it never ends lol.

spieszak
01/30/2011, 03:16 PM
I feel that way too right now... At some point people do downgrade though.. I've seen posts in the forums that note that too. Also, as far as DIY's go, not ending in disaster is good, but I've also seen threads where people have DIY'ed a huge tank and then turned it into a terrarium or something ... I'm wondering in percentages here. Do 90% of large builds live out their useful lifetime, or 80, or... do large builds eventually become so time consuming and overwhelming that you wish you hadn't done it...
I don't think I can personally read each large build thread and follow up/judge satisfaction, so I guess I'm hoping to I could get that feedback here...

freetareef
01/31/2011, 12:29 AM
dude you should youtube "diy aquarium" there are mass 800 gallon tank builds done out of plywood, fiberglass and epoxy.
some day......

Pieface
01/31/2011, 12:57 AM
spieszak
I would try posting this question the large tank forum to see if you get any hits. I to wonder how these large tanks turn out. The cost of maintains, the cost of set-up, and how long the build lasts. 5 years, 10 years so on....

JBarnes
01/31/2011, 02:57 PM
I had a 8' x 2' x 2' ply tank in operation for 12 years. Trying to find a picture to show you but I don't have anything digital. IMO unless you are really looking forward to a DIY project you are better off to buy a tank. I built mine using the standard 3/4" ply you see on other build threads with 3/8" plate glass front. But, I also fiberglassed (cloth and resin) both the inside and outside of the tank. It never leaked a drop.

IMO most of these build threads of ply tanks fail because they are not built to handle the stress. Most don't use fiberglass cloth and resin during construction. They simply use the resin. Then you get a certain amount of flex on the structure and the resin cracks at a joint and begins to seap.

Building your own tank is alot of work and after having built one I now leave it up to the experts. Tank costs are such a small piece of the investment after you are said and done that it just doesn't pay to do it yourself. At least thats my opinion. Jerry.

Luckedout
01/31/2011, 05:33 PM
I think people run into a couple of problems; cost, time and energy. We can't predict where we will be in 1, 2, 5 years down the road. Maybe we'll have a kid or lose our job or move.

I don't think large tanks turning into dust collectors has as much to do with the quality of the tank or the build so much as it has to do with other factors called life.

Swim
01/31/2011, 05:42 PM
I think people run into a couple of problems; cost, time and energy. We can't predict where we will be in 1, 2, 5 years down the road. Maybe we'll have a kid or lose our job or move.

I don't think large tanks turning into dust collectors has as much to do with the quality of the tank or the build so much as it has to do with other factors called life.

Yep, big reef tanks are a full time job. Bigger reef tanks are a full time job + overtime. Add a real day job and family to the mix and.....................

RedEDGE2k1
01/31/2011, 07:17 PM
I had a 90g reef in my living room for three years, and that was plenty for me. But even at that relatively small tank size, I was neglecting it near the end because I was just "over it." When I decided to break it down and sell it, I took my time and parted it all out....and still only got back $1200 of the over $9000 I had invested in it.

Personally, I would never, ever set up a tank over ~180 gallons unless I was retired, rich, and had NO plans to move whatsoever...and didn't enjoy traveling for extended periods of time. I would be a nervous wreck leaving a 500g aquarium running in my house while away on vacation for 10 days. I don't know how people do it (controllers fail, and friends forget).

Ok, enough of my negativity!
Dustin

dzfish17
01/31/2011, 08:10 PM
Well, here in Ca. we tend to have more than our share of earthquakes so it was an easy desicion for me to have my tank made out of acrylic. I had my 600g made with 1 1/4" thickness because I didnt want it to bow over time. If I had the time or knowledge to build a large tank I dont think I would be comfortable that it would hold long term (20-30 yrs.).

rkaragozler
01/31/2011, 08:50 PM
as everyone says, you some how wind up going bigger one day, it took me a year to go from a 175 to a 450. here is a FTS of my build.
http://i775.photobucket.com/albums/yy32/rkaragozler/Richies%20Reef/1stphasedone.jpg

nauticac4
02/01/2011, 09:24 AM
Define large?

I have this 36"x36"x31" Cube eurobraced top and bottom, corner overflow. I got the tank broken tore it apart replaced the broken pieces siliconed the whole thing back together.

dogstar74
02/01/2011, 02:39 PM
I guess it comes down you your committment level.

I personally believe people that have and can afford Large tanks sometimes just stop posting. They get tired of Justifying the expense, answering the same questions over and over, having arguements over equiptment, people asking how much it costs, discussing the humidity issues, people asking how much is costs, talking about the floor designs and sealing the tank issues, people asking how much it costs. And so forth.

When you reach that point in your committment, then it becomes worth it to you. If you've been honest with your budget, then no matter what size of tank it is, you can enjoy it.

The biggest red flag to me that a system will deep six, and the guy's tank will be in craigs' list in a couple of years is when they start by saying, "Building a XXX gallon tank, I plan on DIY most to save on costs." Guaranteed failure.

Now I'm all for DIY, but if you're doing that to save on costs, then you've WAY oversized your tank. Better to drop down to a smaller tank and have enough to keep it going than to try and make do with more water volume.

Just my .02
Aaron

nyvp
02/01/2011, 03:48 PM
Yep, big reef tanks are a full time job. Bigger reef tanks are a full time job + overtime. Add a real day job and family to the mix and.....................

I actually think its the opposite . My 560/g was easier and less time then my 180/g . With larger tanks things move up and down slower. I used to take less then 5 mins a day feeding and maybe 1/2 on weekend to do clean up.

spieszak
02/02/2011, 08:47 AM
The biggest red flag to me that a system will deep six, and the guy's tank will be in craigs' list in a couple of years is when they start by saying, "Building a XXX gallon tank, I plan on DIY most to save on costs." Guaranteed failure.

Now I'm all for DIY, but if you're doing that to save on costs, then you've WAY oversized your tank. Better to drop down to a smaller tank and have enough to keep it going than to try and make do with more water volume.

Just my .02
Aaron
The reason I'm considering it is two fold, first off, I love my tanks, and I love the things that I've built for/in my house. Given that if I build my own its "double loved"..
Beyond that though, cost is a consideration. Not "required" cost mind you, but unnecessary cost. I don't have a builder local, and $1000 in shipping for curb service is well beyond what I'd be willing to pay. The guy driving the truck deserves the cash for the trouble and time spent away from family, that part is a given.. but the amount of stuff I could buy in equipment or stocking for a grand just can't be justified in shipping.