PDA

View Full Version : Could it be Velvet?

scottwhitson
01/23/2011, 04:12 PM
We purchased a Powder Brown Tang about two weeks ago and put him in our QT tank. I started noticing spots on his fins on Tuesday of this week (18th) so I started lowering the SG thinking it was ich as Powder Browns are ich magnets. I just got the SG to 1.009 yesterday so he hasn't had much time in that level of Hypo. Now the spots are everywhere and he is almost getting a fuzzy appearance to him I am not sure if this is ich or maybe Velvet. The research that I have done sounds like Velvet kills in an extremely fast manner so I am wondering if anyone has had a fish with visible signs of velvet live for a week? The fish eats like a PIG and is swimming around normal at this time so that is a plus. Just wondering what peoples experience with Velvet is? Also how long after reaching 1.009 do the spots start to disappear? I have only treated for ich one other time so not a lot of experience with it.

bucky1168
01/23/2011, 10:32 PM
It was my experience that it took a couple of days. The ich has to fall of the fish at it's normal time. The time that hypo kills ich is when it is in it's free floating stage in the water column. Once the spots are gone off of the fish, you have about 6-8 weeks left. :)

Jim