PDA

View Full Version : EB4 uses?

Fish4Me2
01/23/2011, 11:38 PM
I am currently planning out my electrical, using an EB8 and an EB4 along with my apex. I know that outlets 4 and 8 on the EB8 are mechanical relays, so I need to be cautious about what types of devices I use on them. With the higher amperage on the EB4, what types of devices is it best used for? Can I use it for my halides or T5s, or will I short the relay?

swoods140
01/24/2011, 06:19 PM
I too have the same question. I am in the same planning process and would like to run 3 250w MH and my VHO actinic on this unit, mainly to calculate the monthly cost of my lighting system. From what I understand the relay switches are used to make the unit more cost affective but would love to hear from someone with experience!

kenargo
01/24/2011, 06:37 PM
High rush devices always play better on tiac outlets as they can cause arcing and burning of the relay contacts and cause them to fuse. VHO ballasts can be especially bad as they can have on-currents of 50A. Halides are less likely to have high-rush currents but not all ballasts are created equal. The EB4 has 3 outlets that are good for 8 A and 1 for 12 A. Watch the total, you are still limited to 15A for all outlets on at 1 time on both EB4 and EB8.

For me; I have chiller pump, chiller and heaters on the EB4 and left VHO and MHD on EB8 (though I have since moved to AI LED's so I no longer have VHO or MDH.

Sorry, I didn't answer directly but it is difficult with out knowing the parameters of the exact equipment.

Fish4Me2
01/24/2011, 06:48 PM
Hi Ken, thanks for the info. I was planning on using the EB4 for one Galaxy select-a-watt ballast, and a 1/3 hp JBJ arctica chiller. Chiller specs say 7.25 amps. I'm running 250 watt bulbs with that ballast, with the option of going to 400. I believe these are e-ballasts, 4.44 amps based on what I've found.

These are some of the biggest draw items on the tank, and I wanted to make sure they were on a controlled outlet that could handle them.

swoods140
01/24/2011, 07:00 PM
Thanks Ken!
Don't forget your chiller will pull up to 12amps at start up!

schwaggs
01/25/2011, 08:57 PM
I run my 250W M80 ballasts on the EB8 solid state outlets, works like a charm. Only one ballast per solid state outlet, however.

I use the EB8 relay outlet for my super low power devices (aqualifter) and my super high power devices (~9 Amp 1HP chiller). Been running this way without failure for over a year.

For the money, I would get another EB8 over an EB4 unless you have a real need for lots of relay outlets.

Also, I don't feel the relays were added to the EB8 to save cost, I think they were added to provide outlets for higher power loads. The cost of a Triac is probably less than a power relay.