PDA

View Full Version : Best way to attach rock

ctniners
01/24/2011, 09:17 AM
I tried googling this and was not able to find anything very concrete.

Yesterday I bought some dry rock, fiji looking along with tonga...my idea is to create an aquascape right now while dry, and put it in a bucket with the live rock i bought.

so to begin my question is...what is the best proven way to attach rock together...i heard the zip ties but dont think that would work with tonga rock.

I also thought about drilling one end of the tonga rock and doing the same to the other rock...put a peg in the hole and put them together but being a rock the peg would not be able to be screwed so it would just be lose...any safe glue maybe i can use that is strong enough to hold the rock?

i only have a lowes close to me, let me know if there something safe that i can use that it is not going to release chemicals in the water....or if you have experience doing something else.

thanks for any advice!

chimmike
01/24/2011, 09:39 AM
zip ties

epoxy

drilling holes and using acrylic or nylon rod

those methods all work

nauticac4
01/24/2011, 09:51 AM
Those mentioned above all work well. I have used Oatley epoxy putty (Plumbing aisle, Lowes) with good results.

ctniners
01/24/2011, 10:18 AM
thanks for the inputs...like i said i dont think zip ties will work when you are trying to attach tonga rock to other toga rock or to fiji rock.

fiji to fiji would work because there is plenty of places to drill holes for the zip ties. The rods would be the same as the pegs...rods will keep rock together but in my opinion there will still be some movement especially when dealing with tonga.....i thought the epoxy would be the best but did know any name of a safe epoxy for an aquarium...those epoxys for frags are not good at all.....lets say i go to lowes and they dont have the epoxy mentioned above....is there a list of chemicals a glue can have to be used in a reef aquarium ?

aleonn
01/24/2011, 01:24 PM
I found it easy to drill my BRS dry Fiji rock with either 3/16" or 7/8" drill bits. I had those rocks soaked in saltwater while curing, and the drill bit went through like butter. Tonga and shelf rocks, on the other hand, were very difficult to drill due to their density. I used zipties on Tonga by tying one branch to another branch. Not the sturdiest method probably, but I didn't have luck with epoxy either. Marco Rocks also has some sort of mortar/cement on their website, which I haven't used or looked into much. That could be a reasonable alternative for ya.

ctniners
01/24/2011, 02:22 PM
how about using the already mixed cement or concrete from lowes or home depot?

aleonn
01/24/2011, 02:41 PM
Perhaps someone can chime in on the HD/Lowe's cement or concrete. I don't know what minerals/ingredients/etc. are in their mixture, as we'd want it to be reef-safe.

tmichael
01/24/2011, 02:43 PM
i would like to know more on the HD/Lowes cement as well.

bamf25
01/24/2011, 02:47 PM
There are many water safe epoxies to pick from that with rods should work.

chimmike
01/24/2011, 03:02 PM
the concrete is questionable. Some is okay but I'm not sure exactly what brands. Either way, you have to soak them in RO to let the concrete leech out the bad stuff. Search for DIY rock to see what concrete they use and the process.

90accord
01/24/2011, 03:24 PM
zip ties

epoxy

drilling holes and using acrylic or nylon rod

those methods all work

Any of these will work.
If using rod some super glue gel or putty will help the rod stay in place.
The putty doesnt stick to rock very well but can be pushed in to holes in the rock to lock it together. Rod seams to work the best. I find the putty crumbles after time.

smokenax
01/24/2011, 07:35 PM
here's what could be acheived with perforated pvc frame and zip ties.you couhttp://i918.photobucket.com/albums/ad24/smokenax14/IMG_0123.jpgld build it in sections then take it apart and cure it.

Jacob Sellers
01/24/2011, 09:56 PM
Goggle Epo Putty or just run a search for it on RC. I used it to connect a ton of LR. I can be used underwater too.

90accord
01/24/2011, 10:06 PM
here's what could be acheived with perforated pvc frame and zip ties.you couhttp://i918.photobucket.com/albums/ad24/smokenax14/IMG_0123.jpgld build it in sections then take it apart and cure it.

That looks great. Mayhave to try pvc and zip ties

reefsafe
01/24/2011, 10:27 PM
http://www.marcorocks.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=105

sfsuphysics
01/24/2011, 10:35 PM
Perhaps someone can chime in on the HD/Lowe's cement or concrete. I don't know what minerals/ingredients/etc. are in their mixture, as we'd want it to be reef-safe.
hydrolic cement would be my product of choice. You should really rinse it good, after its set up, its easier than drilling and using fiberglass rods, and if you use epoxy you always run the risk that the epoxy doesn't really grab good over time. The cement will grab hold well.

zenpytho
01/24/2011, 10:38 PM

all concrete mixes have different additives and or ratios and it can range from types of slag , ash, even silica so wouldnt recommend using it in a tank imo has anyone ever used great stuff expanding foam i have read that once cured it is safe but not sure on that but it will bind to anything

thatguy559
01/24/2011, 11:51 PM
i used great stuff pond foam (black) and i drilled holes through the rocks and attached with acrylic rods. after the foam dried i used 2 part epoxi and brushed it over the foam and threw some sand on it

this picture is before the epoxi
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b155/jsprinkle/saltwater%20tanks/the%20120g%20reef/CIMG1257.jpg

here is the tank a year later
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b155/jsprinkle/saltwater%20tanks/the%20120g%20reef/_DSC0436.jpg

jag940
01/25/2011, 06:23 PM
I think this tank looks great where did you get epoxie for the cover up and the great stuff pond foam?

david1983
01/25/2011, 06:51 PM
Some people use plastic clothes hangers for pegs too.I used pvc pipe and tie wraps too.What does raising the rock off the bottom do?

ctniners
01/25/2011, 07:09 PM
I placed an order for the marco mortar...i will let you know how that works

etomasko
01/26/2011, 09:37 AM
Some people use plastic clothes hangers for pegs too.I used pvc pipe and tie wraps too.What does raising the rock off the bottom do?

i believe is to protect glass on bottom of tank...

ctniners
01/26/2011, 12:05 PM
i think eggcrate on the bottom also offers better stability to the rock, this way if the rock is not flat on the bottom area you can zip tie it to the eggcrate and it acts like a footer.

aleonn
01/26/2011, 01:21 PM
Eggcrate (available as lighting diffuser at Home Depot's) is used to protect the bottom panel in case there are rock slides. Some livestock such as pistol shrimp, gobies, and Nassarius snails tend to dig around the sand and may accidentally shift rock structures.

david1983
01/26/2011, 02:16 PM
Little fockers