PDA

View Full Version : REGAL angel tank size?

agreeive?fish
01/24/2011, 10:41 AM
As the title states tank size for a regal angel

mine is currently in my 75g reef. is this big enough for the regal for life? been there since a few days before christmas and doing well

i could move him to a 175g bow or a 210gfowlr tanks as i have both because both are near fishless at the moment ( a couple small fish) but everything i have read says they fair better long term in a reef tank

opinions please

coralfish
01/24/2011, 10:43 AM
75g is too small for a full grown Regal

Sk8r
01/24/2011, 10:59 AM
Angels are less prone to 'dash' than tangs, but will appreciate room to orient to the rockwork and feed without feeling cramped. This fish grows about 10" max, and will need somewhat the space you accord a 10" tang (see the list above.) The Powder Blue is one. Honestly, because you have it, that 210 might be a good place, depending on tankmates, and a big angel can take care of itself: remember the tang tanks are the minimum size for a tang, but no fish objects to more room. You might actually improve the water in the 210 from the usual FOWLR limits by including some discosoma mushrooms and buttons: few fish will eat them, and they DO filter water, while not taking much light. Just a suggestion. That 125 might do well, but I'm always for more room if it can be had.
And kudos for thinking about your fish's longterm survival.
Just read a study of the ages of yellow tangs on the reef, and one came in at 41 years. Here's to your angel going for decades!

Korrine
01/24/2011, 10:10 PM
sk8r, you know what kinds of fish will eat them? red coris wrasse? Raccoon butterfly?

stovenut
01/24/2011, 10:21 PM
I have never seen a fish eat mushrooms and button polyps. Those are great FOWLR corals, as are GSP, yumas, and BTAs. Most people with FOWLRS however, don't spend the money on lighting.

I would chime in that a Regal needs more than a 75g long term. I would suggest a minimum of a 125 for a Regal, like many of the 9"+ tangs.

Korrine
01/24/2011, 10:28 PM
I already have 2 250w mh for my 75g. Thanks for the tips on those other corals too. Was going to do a fowlr, but may add some of those corals. Sorry to derail the thread...

89Foxbody
01/24/2011, 10:31 PM
Mushrooms, GSPs, and buttons will grow under just about anything. You won't have to do much as far as lighting to keep them alive.

stovenut
01/24/2011, 10:35 PM
The Regal needs to go in a bigger tank. Might not need it right now, but it will need a bigger pool. I was simply suggesting that your fowlr tank can have soft corals if you have decent (even PC) lighting. The Regal Angel is the only lg angel I would ever try in a reef tank. Great fish. Sounds like you have options, but the 75 is not the solution.

Korrine
01/24/2011, 10:36 PM
Don't buttons tend to color up better under brighter lighting? I thought Regals were kind of known to wipe out button polyps/zoanthids?

stovenut
01/24/2011, 10:41 PM
Mushrooms, GSPs, and buttons will grow under just about anything. You won't have to do much as far as lighting to keep them alive.

You can keep anything alive with a little luck. Corals are photosynthetic. They need light to GROW. Dude missed the point. My suggestion is simply to realize that the regal will outgrow a 75 and to have another plan long term. And that a FOWLR tank doesn't have to be boring, especially when you can upgrade the lighting and grow softies.

agreeive?fish
01/25/2011, 05:15 AM
I have never seen a fish eat mushrooms

well then you need to have a talk with my stars and stripes puffer he loves mushrooms

Toddrtrex
01/25/2011, 09:38 AM
Don't buttons tend to color up better under brighter lighting? I thought Regals were kind of known to wipe out button polyps/zoanthids?

My green "button" polyps look great under 2*250 MH + 4*54 T5; though they don't look as good now that my blue C. Nox is picking at them.

RRaider
01/25/2011, 09:51 AM
I have never seen a fish eat mushrooms and button polyps. Those are great FOWLR corals, as are GSP, yumas, and BTAs. Most people with FOWLRS however, don't spend the money on lighting.

I would chime in that a Regal needs more than a 75g long term. I would suggest a minimum of a 125 for a Regal, like many of the 9"+ tangs.

I threw some blue mushrooms in my sump with only a regular energy saver lightbulb and they have thrived, so I don't think their light requirements are very high.