PDA

View Full Version : ORA mandarin Goby

philosophile
01/24/2011, 07:15 PM
So..... I'm not actually thinking of buying one, but I was curious, about them. When they first came out, people were posting that they weren't eating prepared foods, Is that still the case?

Has anyone heard about the mated pairs that they were selling being successful in breeding?

lirenwang
01/25/2011, 08:31 AM
I want to ask this too :(

Seajuice
01/25/2011, 12:15 PM
I've had my mandarin for 4 years. I think his/her survival was strictly because of a very active refugium with plenty of live foods available. Occasionally I see him/her eating pellet food, but rarely. FWIW, I think a thriving refugium is key to any reef tank success.

kmac
01/25/2011, 06:33 PM
I would say you are better off to have an established tank to start them in. Once adjusted they seem to start looking at prepared foods but dont rely on it. Plus if you really want to kick start things you can buy copeds.

peasofme
01/28/2011, 05:23 PM
mandarins are best left in the ocean unless u have a 150g mature tank with steady pod pop for each fish. even if they eat prepared foods u need to feed them constantly which most people won't do. the ora's arent any more likely to eat prepared foods than any other mandarin.

snorvich
01/28/2011, 05:27 PM
I've had my mandarin for 4 years. I think his/her survival was strictly because of a very active refugium with plenty of live foods available. Occasionally I see him/her eating pellet food, but rarely. FWIW, I think a thriving refugium is key to any reef tank success.

I agree. I used to have a pair (for over six years), both of which ate mysis, but the real key is sufficient copepods. Mandarins eat all day and even if they eat prepared foods, the vast majority of hobbyists would not feed enough. Even if they do, the other fish in the tank will out compete for that food.

airbats801
01/29/2011, 03:05 AM
I dont know, I wouldnt say you need 150. had a mandarin that would die for brin shrimp and eventually started eating prime reef flakes. Thats rare though. as long as you have some decent rock and coepods they should be fine. I have a scooter dragonet that hasnt ate a single piece of food in my 75g in over a year.

davocean
01/29/2011, 10:19 AM
From what I've been reading not all the ORA's have been eating prep'd food and some cases not eating at all.
I also agree no one should expect them to survive long term on prep'd food alone, and you should have the right size tank and fuge set up w/ plenty of pods for long term success.
As for breeding, I've seen a number of them spawn, my pair (not ORA) did spawn, but the collection and raising process is not easy.