PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question...Bulkhead Fittings???help lol

etomasko
01/24/2011, 09:51 PM
Hey guys new to the forum here and been reefing for about 8 months now...problem here just picked up a 90 gal setup and pretty much redid everything...i took the bulkhead fittings off simply because he cracked one of them when he sat tank down on fittings...einstien i tell ya! heres problem where to get them at im in southwest florida Tampa Bay (online maybe?) and what sizes do i need i measured and the larger hole is 1 5/8" in diameter and the smaller is 1 1/4" in diameter im prolly within a 1/16" of inch off because of condition on bulkheads...not a whole lot of experience in this any help mucho appreciated...thanks in advance...:thumbsup:

RUFISHY2
01/24/2011, 09:54 PM
It's probably an All-Glass Tank. You'll need a 3/4 inch and a 1 inch bulkhead. Any LFS worth its salt should have those in stock. If not Bulk Reef Supply has any size you need.

etomasko
01/24/2011, 10:15 PM
any particular style? or one style you could recommend the previous owner had them glued on? is this normal? on my boat i dont glue bulkheads? or is there a thread on this on rc?

Gold Stripe
01/24/2011, 10:27 PM
Its really personal preference. Slip are probably easier to seal as you just slap on some PVC cement and shove the pipe in but I use thread/thread bulkheads so that I can remove them if necessary without destroying my plumbing. You can get any combination of slip/slip, Thread/slip, thread/thread, slip/thread..... Bulk Reef Supply has pretty good prices.

90accord
01/24/2011, 11:31 PM
Its really personal preference. Slip are probably easier to seal as you just slap on some PVC cement and shove the pipe in but I use thread/thread bulkheads so that I can remove them if necessary without destroying my plumbing. You can get any combination of slip/slip, Thread/slip, thread/thread, slip/thread..... Bulk Reef Supply has pretty good prices.

:thumbsup:I use thread/thread bulkheads so that I can remove them if necessary without destroying my plumbing.

etomasko
01/26/2011, 08:20 AM
thanks guys i just finished overhauling my tank stand putting the last coat of laquer on her and placing tank on stand tonight...i am going with thread to thread simply because i dont want to have to cut it like when i removed it the first time....and thread lock i should use or just the rubber gasket they come with...? already loving the feedback on this site...thanks in advance...

snulma1
01/26/2011, 09:54 AM
The only thing you should use is a little bit of teflon tape (2-3 turns). And the rubber gasket on the inside of the tank. I buy a 2nd gasket for the outside just for safety sake. but 1 should be enough.

And only tighten 1 quarter turn past hand tight. If you crank down it will crack the tank and be near impossible to remove if required for maintanence

RokleM
01/26/2011, 11:08 AM
The only thing you should use is a little bit of teflon tape (2-3 turns). And the rubber gasket on the inside of the tank. I buy a 2nd gasket for the outside just for safety sake. but 1 should be enough.

And only tighten 1 quarter turn past hand tight. If you crank down it will crack the tank and be near impossible to remove if required for maintanence

Sorry, but this is wrong as listed/interpreted. Let me clarify.

The rubber gasket always goes on the side opposite of the nut. A bulkhead can technically be be installed either direction, although most commonly the nut is on the outside/dryside. Installing the gasket on the nut side (or a second one on the nut side) can cause uneven pressure and cause leaking.

zangmann
01/26/2011, 01:29 PM
Does it matter which way the rubber gasket is placed? All the bulkheads I purchased have one smooth side and one side with 2 out dented rings.

etomasko
01/26/2011, 03:15 PM
So gasket on wetside and just nut on outside?f

Gold Stripe
01/26/2011, 05:07 PM
Gasket on flange side regardless of wet or dry.

Standard install is flange and gasket on inside and nut on outside. Thats it.

Some folks reverse due to clearance issues and put flange and gasket on outside and nut on inside but thats not the norm.

RokleM
01/27/2011, 08:10 AM
Gasket on flange side regardless of wet or dry.

This. Has a better way of stating it ;)

etomasko
01/27/2011, 02:27 PM
thank you for the input much appreciated...previously asked does the rubber gasket set a particular way? or is everyone different?

Gold Stripe
01/27/2011, 05:08 PM
Don't think it really matters but I have always put the flat side up against the flange and the ribed side (if there is one) against the glass.

bamf25
01/27/2011, 06:52 PM
Is the rule basically hand tight for all plumbing fittings? I wrapped all the treads with teflon tape, and tighten by hand till I could go no further. A small aside, there seems to be a very small amount of sand (just a few grains) under one of the gaskets. Will this affect water tightness? The rings otherwise look to be in a good place and well sealed.

Gold Stripe
01/27/2011, 06:56 PM
I'm a perfectionist so if it were mine I would take it apart and make sure all surfaces are clean. May not be necessary but I couldnt sleep without doing it.

Depends on how strong your hands are. I hand tighten the nut and then give it a quarter turn with some channel locks.

firechild
01/27/2011, 07:21 PM
Overtightening can easily cause the gasket to twist slightly and cause leaks. Never tighted with tools.

etomasko
01/27/2011, 09:11 PM
so hand snug and 1/4 inch with channel locks?

01/28/2011, 07:25 AM
so hand snug and 1/4 inch with channel locks?

I've never used any tools, just hand tighten. Seems to work okay, but maybe I have strong hands. :)

Jeff

Acrylics
01/28/2011, 07:50 AM
Is the rule basically hand tight for all plumbing fittings? I wrapped all the treads with teflon tape, and tighten by hand till I could go no further. A small aside, there seems to be a very small amount of sand (just a few grains) under one of the gaskets. Will this affect water tightness? The rings otherwise look to be in a good place and well sealed.
Don't use Teflon tape on the bulkhead body, only on threaded fittings going into the bulkhead. And yes, sand on the gasket can make it less effective.

James

etomasko
01/28/2011, 08:27 AM
of course no teflon on threaded outside portion of bulkhead but inside anything that screws into it should have teflon?

MHG
03/18/2011, 06:50 AM
It's probably an All-Glass Tank. You'll need a 3/4 inch and a 1 inch bulkhead. Any LFS worth its salt should have those in stock. If not Bulk Reef Supply has any size you need.

I have the same size holes and the 3/4 inch and the 1 inch bulh heads I find online require a way bigger holes than what I have. According to the sizez on bulkreefsupply, I need a 1/2 and a 3/4. That sounds way way small unless the wall size is as which as my finger on those fittings...

billdogg
03/18/2011, 07:21 AM
There are 3 different types readily available. in pvc - sch 40 and sch 80, and ABS. all three require different size holes.

RUFISHY2
03/18/2011, 07:21 AM
Strange, I've never had any trouble interchanging aqueon and the ABS ones I get from BRS.

03/18/2011, 09:06 AM
Strange, I've never had any trouble interchanging aqueon and the ABS ones I get from BRS.
Probably because they're the same. :)

ABS is least expensive. It's also what comes on most commercial tanks. And what I use, with no issues.

Jeff

RUFISHY2
03/18/2011, 10:24 AM
I didn't realize billdogg beat me to it. I guess what I should have said to MHG was, "look at the ABS ones." I also have never had an issue with them, and have never been pumping enough pressure to need anything else.

MHG
03/18/2011, 01:48 PM
Well, I may be off on that 1 inch and its actually 1 3/4 and not 1 5/8th but the other one being 1 1/8 but a 3/4 inch fitting needs a 1 1/2 hole is throwing me. I doubt I am 3/8th off on that measurement...I may just go to where I bought the tank and pay extra for what they use so I can complain to them when it does not fit...