PDA

View Full Version : Dumb question but need a little help

O3reefer
01/24/2011, 08:53 PM
I am about to attach my internal coast to coast overflow box, with beananimal drains, and was wondering about the proper height for the water level in the tank and if there is need for a lid/cover to stop anything from jumping out. right now my tank is euro braced with 1/2" glass around the top, should the water level be at about a 1/2" below the bottom of the euro brace or lower/higher? This would put it an 1" below the top rim of the tank. Dumb question I know but thought I would ask to see what people think.

AJ

MR HONDA
01/24/2011, 09:25 PM
My overflow box is below the brace about 1 inch if that helps as far as lids i think that is up to you some people do not use them some people use a netting also the white egg crate...

cherubfish pair
01/24/2011, 10:33 PM
Gutter guard with magnets holding it in place.

90accord
01/24/2011, 10:43 PM
Gutter guard with magnets holding it in place.
or allittle silicone to hold it.

webfinger
01/25/2011, 12:41 AM
Depending on what livestock you have, yes they can jump out, some can jump high so an inch or two of freeboard will not do much good.

If you go to the BRS website they have a nifty little video on creating a wire screen top for your tank that sits flush in the opening - I might try that if I get an eel. As for water level - in my experience the level kind of depends on how much surface movement you have. The more turbulent the surface, the lower the water level to prevent splashing out. I'd say just experiment a little. Shouldn't be too difficult most hang over overflows are designed with some adjustment in the height so you can do a quick adjustment to see what works best for you.

BeanAnimal
01/25/2011, 05:25 AM
The top of the overflow (the weir) should be set at the bottom edge of the trim. In that way, the water line in the tank will always be above the trim.

O3reefer
01/25/2011, 12:10 PM
Thanks for the help. I know it was so simple but sometimes I over think the simple things. I am actually in the process of finishing the canopy for the tank, so i will just set the water level at the canopy level which will be about an 1 1/4" down from the top. Thanks again