PDA

View Full Version : Growing "Premium" Live Rock

mrbfaust
01/25/2011, 03:24 PM
Ok, so I've done my googling, forum searching, etc., and still have a question. I bought my 90g tank off Craigslist with a bunch of nice equipment and crushed coral and some rock. The rock is kinda junky though, a few nice pieces, but it is quite plain. I picked up a couple nicer pieces with good Coralline and some macro growth, and what appears to be some type of sponge on one of them.

I'm trying to buy some more rock. I've looked online, and the "premium" live rock is quite expensive, but obviously nicer looking. All the threads I've found disucss converting dry rock to LR, but I don't see any discussion about "growing" rock with sponges or other coral encrusted type features that give it an established natural look.

Can anyone fill me in on if it's possible to "grow" or create this premium rock, or do I have to buy it that way?

Bebo77
01/25/2011, 04:13 PM
buy from someone in your area.. that the best way. otherwise buy base rock and leave it in your tank for a while. It will turn into liverock after some time.

sbs5950
01/25/2011, 04:14 PM
sure you can grow it, but its going to take a long time for all those nifty things to grow.

mrbfaust
01/25/2011, 04:19 PM
I guess I figured you could do it, but I wasn't sure if one could seed the rock with such things somehow, or if there was some type of additive to put in a bucket when curing that would assist in the development of aesthetic growth beyond just "curing" it with filtration bacteria... which I think is what Bebo77 is referring to about turning to live rock...

Anything I can do to expedite/encourage it?

Bebo77
01/25/2011, 04:24 PM
nothing... just give it time...

ReeferBill
01/25/2011, 04:35 PM
Hi Fellow Reefer ; You can seed the rock with scrapings of coraline algea. Just scratch and scrape some of the best pieces you have and spread it around on the rock or you can always buy small pieces of colorful coraline algea covered rock at your LFS. Do the same thing with them and 6 months from now you will have some nice looking rock. Good Luck and Happy Reefing!!!!!!!

mrbfaust
01/25/2011, 05:44 PM
Hi Fellow Reefer ; You can seed the rock with scrapings of coraline algea. Just scratch and scrape some of the best pieces you have and spread it around on the rock or you can always buy small pieces of colorful coraline algea covered rock at your LFS. Do the same thing with them and 6 months from now you will have some nice looking rock. Good Luck and Happy Reefing!!!!!!!

I'm not talking about coralline algae either, my rock is growing that on its own quite nicely. I'm actually talking about other growth like sponges or macro algae or other growth that adds character and value to rock. You can buy it online in many places for a high price, but I figure it should be do-able with time on my own. I don't want just plain purple rock with good filtering bacteria...

Bebo77
01/27/2011, 12:00 AM
i have 5 urchins in my tank... i dont like purple rock either...

jeff@zina.com
01/27/2011, 07:03 AM
I'm actually talking about other growth like sponges or macro algae or other growth that adds character and value to rock.
Then you need a source for those. Commonly, the ocean would be where you grow premium rock. But you can duplicate it in a tank with dry rock and some premium live rock and time. Leave out any predators in the tank and the other life will expand and migrate faster.

Jeff

suds1421
01/27/2011, 07:20 AM
Damn how I wish I lived near the ocean, would make live rock easier.

chimmike
01/27/2011, 08:10 AM

coralline algae doesn't make premium live rock. The unique bacterias and other living organisms found on good live rock are what make it premium.

njudson
01/27/2011, 08:23 AM
Started my tank ~9 months ago with mostly dry rock (marcos) and seeding with a few nice coralline cover pieces. Now the formerly dry rock looks better than the 'premium' live rock I bought.

thump9
01/27/2011, 12:25 PM
Damn how I wish I lived near the ocean, would make live rock easier.

Im with you on this.............nothing would be better than to get hold of about 100lbs of base dry rock and take a boat out about 1/2 mile off the coast and drop a stash, mark it with a bouey, then return about a yr later and harvest and see what you get in/on it.

Closest ocean for me is off San Diego (4.5 hrs away) but im sure all id get is strawberry anemonies or plum feather anemonies (which are stunningly beautiful) but unfortunately are cold water species

vono
01/27/2011, 12:42 PM
You can buy some BRS dry rock and add Bio-Spira. With time this will become premium live rock.