PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Occelaris laying on bottom of tank!

Chronicj7
01/25/2011, 04:10 PM
I just purchased a tank mate for like 2 year old occelaris clown. The new clown is an occelaris as well but is very young. As soon as I dropped her in to the tank my clown went up, turned somewhat sideways and started vibrating next to her. 3 days later and I see my clown laying on his left side on the sand (which I've never seen him do). All my parameters are acceptable except I was having phosphate issues so I used a phosphate reducer in a bag similar to carbon bags (this has been in my tank 5 days now). I just fed and he got a few pieces that floated next to him but he's been pretty stationary. PLEASE HELP! What could this be? I don't see any signs of disease. :confused:

Punchdrunk
01/26/2011, 05:42 AM
Occelaris sleep in the most peculiar ways. Seen them looking dead on sand and floating at the surface. Most likely its normal and the vibrating behavior is just their way to communicate dominance/submissivness. (if thats a word :P)

sslak
01/26/2011, 10:35 AM
^ I disagree. If the lights are on it shouldn't be "sleeping" in the sand bed.

Yes, clowns sleep funny, but during daylight should be swimming and feeding normally.

Any heavy breathing, excess slime production, other visible signs?

Did you QT the new addition?

boogas
01/26/2011, 12:48 PM
Do you have a lot of circulation in your tank?

Chronicj7
01/27/2011, 07:45 PM
Well 3 days went by and he passed today. He was breathing heavy and almost looked like he was hiding to just find a place to die. I do have a pretty high amount of flow in the tank. Koralia 2 and 3 in a 39 gallon tank.

I did not put the new additions in a QT tank as I don't have enough room for one. I've been trying to figure out a way to get one because I can't keep doing this.