PDA

View Full Version : Best way to remove old silicone ?

aussie_chicago
01/26/2011, 12:02 PM
Hi, in the process of changing top trim due to broken center brace.Ive removed the old trim, and trying to remove the old silicone, but its still leaving a film on the top of the glass. Ive been using pure vinegar and scraping with razor which is working, but it seems theres still a residue on the glass. Ive read here people using acetone and steel wool, but I would prefer not using solvents in the tank. Is there an alternative or is acetone the only way ? Also, do i need to use rtv 108 to glue the new top trim in place?
Any suggestions, experiences much appreciated-thanks

Daimyo68
01/26/2011, 12:05 PM
You can use rubbing alcohol to clean off the residue. Sometimes it might not seem like its coming off, and you will have to work it a bit.

Momentive RTV 108 is what I would recommend. You can get it at almost any Grainger location.

nauticac4
01/26/2011, 12:23 PM
Any excess acetone will evaporate, but if your concerned the alcohol will work just take a little longer. Like stated above RTV108 or 103 (one is clear one is black same stuff though) from momentive available at grainer is the end all be all of silicones for tank building.

sland
01/26/2011, 12:28 PM
Rubbing alcohol works just have to give it time. I have used a towel etc to let it soak on the leftovers and then scrape them off with the blade and hit it with a scrubber, takes a little longer, but no worries from the alcohol

aussie_chicago
01/26/2011, 01:34 PM
Got the alcohol going, and scraper, it is working but a hell of a job. How critical is is to get all of the residue off ? I can see in the light looking down the glass that most of the silicone is gone but I still see some residue in small areas.

Daimyo68
01/26/2011, 03:12 PM
You can try using a ScotchBrite Scouring pad also instead of steal wool. You can pick them up in almost any store also.

get it as clean as possible, you want a good bond between the glass and new silicone. (it's a pain in the arse sometimes, but part of the hobby).