PDA

View Full Version : Help make this easier or more efficient...

Amphiprion
01/26/2011, 02:54 PM
So, my current 25g setup is relatively straightforward: a few older "LPS" corals, a single Pocillopora colony, two clownfish + lawnmower blenny, and seagrasses. Unfortunately, there is nearly as much Aiptasia as there is seagrass in this setup. This was mostly caused by the fact that the setup was skimmerless and very heavily fed, mostly for various fauna. At any rate, I am breaking the system down to hopefully get rid of the Aiptasia on a more permanent basis. The idea is to place the fish, rock and few corals in a separate container from the seagrasses. The fish/corals/rock in one system/container and seagrasses in the other for growout--both of which will be lighted by 250w halides, so that won't be an issue. The system that houses the fish, rock, and corals will then have some Berghia placed in it for eventual Aiptasia removal. The idea of keeping all of those together is that I'd rather keep my fish (which have been around for a good while) in a system with the live rock. I could then have the seagrass in a known Aiptasia-free environment to grow out over a few weeks before I reassemble the system. The tank itself, along with the sump will be rinsed and bleached to make sure no Aiptasia can attach to the surfaces.

So, sound like a decent plan or am I making this more difficult than it has to be? Keep in mind this isn't an Aiptasia infestation. It is an Aiptasia kennel/farm/breeding facility. There are veritably thousands in this system.