PDA

View Full Version : Starter reef safe fish?

bamf25
01/26/2011, 04:49 PM
Ok this may be way too big a question, but I will ask it. I am starting a salt water tank for the 1st time. The dt is 120g with about a 40 gallon sump. Initially, it will be FOWLR, but after 6 months to 1 year I will likely start adding some corals. Obviously I do not want to get rid of any fish after the change over. Can I get some basic recomendations to start with?

Fishguy15
01/26/2011, 05:08 PM
Is the tank already cycled? If so I would start with clown fish or green cromis.

travis32
01/26/2011, 05:11 PM
Check the size chart on this forum a bristletooth tang, or other tangs, that are appropriate for a 120...

a variety of wrasses if you're open top, may want to think about a canopy or cover or something.

sleeper goby (sand sifter), Diamond goby (tends to damage rockwork though), Golden Head goby, well just a variety of gobies. a variety of blennies (Starry blenny,lawnmower, midas, etc.)

I love Marine bettas, but they will eat shrimp, so, if you want tohave shrimp of any type, avoid marine bettas.

Anthias, Just really depends on what you want for fish. liveaquaria has a fairly good encyclopedia of information about fish and whether they're reef safe or not, whether or not you purchase from them doesn't matter, their site is good to see the variety of fish available.

Lots of options!

namxas
01/26/2011, 06:32 PM
I'd recommend a foxface over tangs, as they are much more disease resistant and peaceful. As for other fish...large and medium-bodied lions are super nice, hardy, and disease resistant. if you think you want something a bit smaller to go with smaller tankmates, look into the dwarf species such as the zebra or the fuzzy.

There are lots of options, as mentioned, so do some research and see what tickles your fancy, then we can help you work up a stocking list, including which order to add each specimen.

Angel*Fish
01/26/2011, 07:08 PM
I recommend checking the list of difficult fish to be avoided in the sticky at the top of this forum which will give you a head start as to what NOT to get.

On the list: Diamond, Golden Head, Sleeper Gobies (Valenciennea spp.): Sometimes starve to death even when accepting prepared foods, tanks with large sandbeds containing lots of food will help as will frequent feedings when they will eat, mated pairs may help as well.

Anthias are definitely not beginner fish. A marine beta will not only eat your shrimp, it will eat any of your fish that it can fit into its mouth and it has a huge mouth.

Live Aquaria is hit and miss, for example a flame angel should not be kept in a 30g aquarium. They seem to be going off of Scott Michael's minimum size to sustain life or something like that. I guess a 30g tank probably won't actually kill a flame angel.

I don't know what kind of fish appeal to you. Maybe a fire fish or royal gramma? There are a number of nice blennies. Shrimp gobies and a commensal shrimp can be nice. Some damsels are pretty and peaceful like Chrysiptera hemicyanea (just don't get the wrong species!). You could get 2 and they might pair up. You increase your chances of pairing by making sure one is tiny (like 3/4 in) if given the choice.

Tonynlo
01/26/2011, 08:23 PM
4-5 Green Chromis would be nice and easy to keep as a starter fish. I had a tank for 3 years and I couldn't imagine not having a tank with them in there. As far as a clown goes, no more than 2 clowns, but try to get a pair. Tailspot Blenny's are a great, easy to keep, nerdy looking fish and a small yellow tang would do just fine in a 120.

Angel*Fish
01/26/2011, 08:30 PM
4-5 Green Chromis would be nice and easy to keep as a starter fish. I had a tank for 3 years and I couldn't imagine not having a tank with them in there. As far as a clown goes, no more than 2 clowns, but try to get a pair. Tailspot Blenny's are a great, easy to keep, nerdy looking fish and a small yellow tang would do just fine in a 120.Are you saying that you bought a group of chromis 3 years ago and you still have them? I've been reading that the secret to keep them from killing each other off might be extremely frequent feeding. Most people don't have long term success with a group of them. Any tips would be appreciated.

small alien
01/26/2011, 09:33 PM
Perhaps a purple firefish (a pair if you can get a known m/f which can only be known through behavior). I think a pair of captive bred percula clowns is a good call. Some of the ORA hybrids are very nifty.:fun4: Also, I love my new Yellow "Coris" Wrasse and they're generally considered easy though they may take out some small crustaceans. They need sand to bury in at night or when frightened. They are a very beautiful, cheery yellow.

What do you like?

Good luck.:bounce2::bounce1::lolspin::bounce1::bounce2:

small alien
01/26/2011, 09:38 PM
More broadly, you want a fish(es) that are disease resistant or at least not disease prone, are generally considered easy to feed, are appropriately sized for your tank long term and are peaceful enough that they won't preclude fish you'll want to add later.

travis32
01/27/2011, 07:46 AM
Bettas get really bad reps. They are one of the hardiest fish in reef aquaria. They are expensive. But they are a dosile, peaceful fish that can tolerate extremely "bad" circumstances in the reef aquarium. The OP hasn't stated his likes or dislikes in fish, so, that's totally up to them. As far as a Betta just going out and eating random fish. It will if it's small enough. I have a pretty small clown (juvenile) and it has left it alone. I'm sure it would go after a shrimp if I had one, but, the fish are left alone. It eyes them like an eel eyes pray, but, never goes after any of the fish. I even have a cleaner wrasse, I was afraid it might eat. But not once has the betta gone after it.

They get a poor rep. But, this Betta has survived the most horrid of conditions. I rescued it from my tank crash. It lived through ammonia at 8.0ppm. It wouldn't have lived long if I hadn't rescued it out of the tank. But, it survived a day as the ammonia went from 0 to 8.0 ppm in 24 -36 hours as everything died around him.

He's been in a tank that had ich with never a single sign of ich ever. I tried 2 bettas once and they fought. This one had about a half inch gash in his side that was bleeding.

He healed in about 2 weeks, with not a single scar of the original cut.

He's like a puppy, comes out to greet me as soon as I walk in the door after work. He'll peak out of the rock work as I walk around the tank, following me around. I wouldn't give up my betta. It was the first fish I bought 10 months ago, and he's been through hell and back, and loves his new home in my 125g.

bamf25
01/27/2011, 09:58 AM
I am sticking to fish that are labled as easy to keep, but in a few months would try a moderate to keep after I got my feet wet (god did I just pun).

tubntxawg
01/27/2011, 10:11 AM
I would recommend getting one or two clownfish for started... They eat like pig and easy take care... :D, there no worries on clown for starter... :D

bamf25
01/27/2011, 06:59 PM
How are these for a start of a list

Ocellaric Clown fish possibly a pair
Yellow Prown Goby
Segmened Sailfin Blenny
Firefish
Blue Gudgeon Dartfish
Mimic Half Black Tang (would really like a Blue Tang, but my tank is only 4 feet, and slightly under the rec size)

I saw a few more, but wanted to get some thoughts.

Overall, what is the stocking amount I can expect in a 120 DT tank with sump so I will be running 135 or so gallons.

ssavader
01/27/2011, 08:52 PM
Bamf25, +1 on Angel Fishes comments. Look at the Difficult to Keep list on RC.
Some comments of my own- Sand sifting gobies seem to starve routinely. I'm embarrassed to say that I have lost three in an established tank despite "target feeding". I won't try again. They seem to fade despite the best of care. Avoid the "tiny" gobies like Rainsford and Signal Spot.

Avoid chromis- they "auto-trim" their own pack down to one dominant fish.

Wrasses and Angels and Tangs tend to be more aggressive, so research first what you would like and add last. Firefish are great but they are jumpers- you will need a tight mesh top that covers the entire tank regardless of what you get- even a clownfish can carpet surf!

Rabbitfish are great- they can nibble on LPS and zoanthids, but I have had a Single Spot for 7 years (actually my first marine fish!) and he is calm, collected, beautiful, and has never bothered any of my corals.

Anthias can be hit or miss- RC members post countless pictures of gorgeous Anthias, but they are fickle, can be shy, require groupings, and most experts report that they require an established tank and multiple feedings per day.

Genicanthis angels are terrific, but they may nibble on LPS. My Lamarck's pair have also been model citizens.

Clown fish are total winners- just don't get lured into purchasing a Maroon Clown- the reef tank's "dark passenger" (big Dexter fan). Also, Melanopis clowns are aggressive- my female is 5" and a real nasty girl- she will aggressively attack any hand in the tank as she ALWAYS has a clutch of eggs somewhere. Go for Ocellaris, Skunk, Clarkii. Good Luck!

small alien
01/27/2011, 10:03 PM
How are these for a start of a list

Ocellaric Clown fish possibly a pair
Yellow Prown Goby
Segmened Sailfin Blenny
Firefish
Blue Gudgeon Dartfish
Mimic Half Black Tang (would really like a Blue Tang, but my tank is only 4 feet, and slightly under the rec size)

I saw a few more, but wanted to get some thoughts.

Overall, what is the stocking amount I can expect in a 120 DT tank with sump so I will be running 135 or so gallons.

I think that's a very reasonable list in general. You have to look at territory, aggressiveness, bioload and maintenance schedule. They're are many variables when analyzing stocking.

bamf25
01/28/2011, 10:45 AM
I think that's a very reasonable list in general. You have to look at territory, aggressiveness, bioload and maintenance schedule. They're are many variables when analyzing stocking.

The tank is not up yet, but as I stated before is a 120g with about a 40 g sump with fuge, so 135 gallons when done. I have a ati bubblemaster 250 I will be purchasing for skimming. That short list seems like it would be a light to moderate bioload for that setup.

I would love to add a second tang, but have read that many need a londer tank and this tank is only 4 feet. I would love to get an angel, but know they chancy with reefs (unless poeple have suggestions). I also know some do not like the sand shifting gobies, so if any has a substitution for that fish, make your suggestions. A starry blenny may be nice also.

I also think dragonets looks awsome, but would never try without more experience.

So any suggestions to round out this list more? I am thinking 8 to 10 total fish.

small alien
01/28/2011, 06:34 PM
Scooter dragonets are not that hard. My first SW fish was a scooter. Mandarins are significantly more challenging.

brian15876
01/29/2011, 11:20 AM
clowns are relatively easy to keep and easy going as well, also angels such as coral beauty are what i usually start with