PDA

View Full Version : Zoanthids and Palytoxin Poisoning

JordanB8810
01/26/2011, 11:17 PM
I am a brand new reefkeeping enthusiast who just bought my first zoanthid frag a few days ago. I received it in the mail, took it out of the bag with my bare hand, drip acclimated, and then placed in my tank with my bare hand. At the time, I only knew of the dangers of ingesting the mucus produced by the zoas. So I washed my hands and washed the airline tubing I used to drip. That was two nights ago, and I haven't felt any effects at all.

Later that night however, I began reading through forums where people had experienced poisoning through the eyes, cuts of their fingers or hands, through the cuticles, and even just on the skin. I was diagnosed about a year ago with what the doctor called OCAD or Obsessive Compulsive Anxiety Disorder. Unfortunately, I don't think I'm going to be able to keep the zoanthid due to it adversely affecting my mental health. I plan on selling it to the LFS as soon as I purchase shoulder length gloves to handle the zoa again.

My question is, after the zoa is removed from the tank, what is the best way to go about making sure all the palytoxin and/or mucus that is possible free floating in the water column is 100% removed?

I am going to use shoulder length gloves from now on when working in my tank, and latex gloves with a rubber band on the end whenever handling corals from now on. I am pretty bummed about getting rid of my new frag, but right now I am only fixated on the negatives and dangers of having it. Hopefully in the future, I will be able to keep zoas in my tank without having to over-worry about my health or the health of others. Thanks for the responses

AeonPhoenix
01/26/2011, 11:25 PM
Can't help you with your question - but here is a huge thread about toxicity in our hobby that may be of interest to you

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158730

scadsobees
01/27/2011, 07:33 AM
I'm a beginner with zoa's, and I also have a wife with OCD and anxiety...and I still don't understand the disorder very well or how to deal with it.

The poison is potent but very dilute. Daddy-longleg spiders are in the same category - they are supposed to have the most potent poison of any spider, but they have NEVER killed anybody, the amount of poision is so tiny as to be ineffective. Unless you are hypersensitive to the zoa chemical (allergic, and only a very few are) it probably not affect you unless you rub the zoa's on you ( which I assume you don't to ).

The biggest problems occur when people frag their colonies, then they are exposed to a lot more, especially on hands with cuts, or if when cutting it squirts in their eyes. I doubt you will be to this point for a very long time.

The miniscule bit of any toxin that may remain in your tank is so dilute as to be ineffective, especially from one small frag in a large amount of water. It cannot hurt you or anything around you, and has probably all been skimmed out already by your protein skimmer as it is a protein.

I've handled my zoas and paly's a bit, and do feel the slime but have never had any side effects, and this is the case with 99% of coral keepers. I also keep honeybees - and this is also a hugely misunderstood little insect - an ounce of prevention will stop any problems.

Rick

Jarred1
01/28/2011, 05:55 AM
run carbon and it should take care of the toxins, not all zoas carry the toxin but i dont think you can tell which ones do have it and which ones dont have it.

Dana42078
03/13/2011, 09:28 PM
I HOPE someone here can answer this for me. I have a large colony of zoa's that had to be removed from the rock they were on. I was told that i could just peel/pull off the main frag rock that they started from. I did this and of corse some zoa's got ripped and oozed stuff into my tank....i thought nothing of it but the next day my mandarian and my tail spot blenny are breathing funny and also acting stange. my MD just sits in one spot for hours at a time.

COULD THIS BE FROM THE polytoxin? All my param's are fine. Well except my nitrates are 5.0 ppm but thats nothing! Please HELP.

dublo8
03/14/2011, 01:19 AM
It could be but most corals will secrete a "goo" (my scientific term) which is a defense mechanism, which it more than likely is. Water changes and run some serious carbon. Depending on the age of the tank, you could have disturbed the SB and stirred some junk up. No way to really tell what it was. Next time do your fragging outside the tank. HTH