PDA

View Full Version : handheld hanna photometers

burnah
01/27/2011, 10:10 AM
hey there.

has anyone used one of these: http://www.hannainst.com/usa/prods2.cfm?ProdCode=HI%20713&id=024015

theyre also available for alkalinity and nitrites, iodine, iron, chloride.

i'd like to know as the price is quite good and could pay off if you use tests alot. it also seems that there is no additional liquid necessary to test the water which would have to be restocked. and for the price of 80 euros you save the testing procedure and the need to rebuy the testing reagencies.

also please comment on the accuracy, whether its useable for reefaquariums!

thanks in advance.

James404
01/27/2011, 10:15 AM
I use the Hanna ULR checker which is similar. It works very well and seems to be very accurate in my experience. I am able to keep my PO4 between .03-.05ppm with this. The reagents are the only item that must be replenished, it is well worth the money IMO.

wickedfish
01/27/2011, 10:19 AM
Of my 4 phosphate brands and tests it seems it's the best. You get the lower ranges in a digital reading. I really like it but buy the extra test reagent because they come with like 8, they go quick especially if you foul a test up. I am sure the expensive Hanna checker is probably better but for 54$ or so it's a fair price. I would buy it again.

I would like to hear what Cliff, Boomer and Bertoni have to say on the product. I think the accuracy is +0.03/-0.03

bertoni
01/27/2011, 05:43 PM
The accuracy is ±0.04 ppm phosphate. With that limit in mind, that device might be fine. It hasn't been out long enough for me to say much more than that, although the reviews so far are pretty good. There's a ULR checker that might be more useful for tanks in the lower end of the range.

wickedfish
01/28/2011, 01:49 PM
The accuracy is ±0.04 ppm phosphate. With that limit in mind, that device might be fine. It hasn't been out long enough for me to say much more than that, although the reviews so far are pretty good. There's a ULR checker that might be more useful for tanks in the lower end of the range.

Does it measure below 0? That sounds dumb is it possible to get an actual 0. Because alot of our tests say 0 and cannot be truthful example my chaetto still grows I have had 0 phosphates and nitrates for 3 months.

HighlandReefer
01/28/2011, 02:05 PM
When using hobby grade meters, a zero reading means the phosphate level present in your tested sample is below the detection limit of the kit or meter.

FWIW, NSW in pristine reefs runs around 0.005 ppm which is well below what hobby grade test kits or meters can detect. ;)

gdm42001
01/29/2011, 04:04 PM
The Hanna Alk tester just showed up from BSRS half an hour ago
I ran one test, could not be simpler, now I need to run a comparison.
I got 203 ppm or 11.38 dkh per the SaltyZoo's online calculator.
$49.99 but they sent me a $5 coupon code, so at that price I had to jump

sasharotty
01/29/2011, 04:07 PM
Just made my purchase for the phophate meter from Hannah.Cant wail!