PDA

View Full Version : Koralia?

Angler7
01/27/2011, 10:29 AM
What do i need? What brands do i avoid? tank details are in my sig. Plan on doing FOWLR for now and gradually getting into some very simple reef life. Thanks,

Uncle Salty 05
01/27/2011, 01:24 PM
Are you asking about Hydor's line of Koralia power heads?
If so it kind of depends on how much you want to spend.
You won't need a lot of flow in a FOWLR, just enough to eliminate dead spots.
Corals (especially SPS) require good flow to keep them fed and to help remove waste.

Angler7
01/27/2011, 02:23 PM
yes, trying to get the gph i will need to avoid the most algae build up as well as price and quality of the product. be it vortech, koralia ect.

billdogg
01/27/2011, 02:24 PM
Liek unkle salty said - kinda depends....

if size is not a problem, the Hydor koralia line is a great bang for the buck, but at least IMO, they are a little big. You can't go wrong with any of the maxi jets either. I'm pretty sure they never die. I use some of both in both of my tanks - and, FWIW, although you don't "need" high flow in a fowlr, I think my fish kinda like it. If you are planning on going reef, buy what you will use then now, rather than buy twice.

Uncle Salty 05
01/27/2011, 02:32 PM
yes, trying to get the gph i will need to avoid the most algae build up as well as price and quality of the product. be it vortech, koralia ect.

Vortechs are pretty much the undisputed best, but you better have deep pockets. They do not come cheap.
As billdogg said Koralias are the best bang for the buck. The new Magnum line looks very nice, I have not purchased them yet but plan to as money will allow.

jeff@zina.com
01/27/2011, 02:32 PM
What brands do i avoid?
Koralia is a brand... :)

If you're looking for power heads, I'd look at Tunze, VorTech, Hydor Koralia and MaxiJet. All are proven over time in many salt water tanks. Eheim makes some, as does Danner, but both are a bit more "industrial" than most users need.

If you're looking at MaxiJets, there are a number of popular mods you might look at. If you eventually want to go with a wave maker or controller, I'd start with the Tunze, even though their pricey for just a power head.

Jeff

Angler7
01/27/2011, 02:37 PM
Thanks, sorry for the confusion. What kind of GPH will i need for a 150 gallon?

Robb in Austin
01/27/2011, 02:40 PM
Again, it depends on what you are keeping.

FOWLR; minimal, just enough to eliminate dead spots and give the fish something to swim in. A K2 or 3 would work. Maybe two K2's. 1 Vortech MP40 would be enough. Your return might be enough depending on it's capacity and how it returns in the tank, ie, split returns.

Reef: totally dependent on what you are keeping.

jeff@zina.com
01/27/2011, 02:54 PM
What kind of GPH will i need for a 150 gallon?
A good start might be two in the 1,000 GPH range, pointed at each other or crossing each other for more turbulence. But it really does depend on what's in the tank, your rock work, dead spots, etc.

Jeff