PDA

View Full Version : Chalice losing skin on edges, why? Pic inside

jimrawr
01/27/2011, 11:12 AM
I have had this piece for like 7 months now, and it this just started happening. The thing is, it also started happening to another chalice thats close to this one, on the same side. At first I thought it was being stung by something, but it doesnt seem likely. Its near a scoly (5 inches away), toadstool (5 inches away), but thats it.

I also have other chalices in the tank which dont have this problem.

My parameters are fine, the only thing I havent been able to test since my kit ran out is ALK, but I dont have a reactor and dont dose it, so its probably a bit low but not something that should kill chalices I think.

http://i403.photobucket.com/albums/pp120/jimrawr/DSC00637.jpg

username in use
01/27/2011, 11:36 AM
Alk swings can really affect your corals. That is one thing that seems to negatively impact my coral more than anything. Is it downstream from the scoly? 5" isnt terribly far away.

jimrawr
01/27/2011, 12:19 PM
Alk swings can really affect your corals. That is one thing that seems to negatively impact my coral more than anything. Is it downstream from the scoly? 5" isnt terribly far away.

Yeah I know, but I dont think its the alk. There wouldnt be any swings as I dont dose alk, just supplement from kalk and water changes which I have been doing for awhile. Also if it was an alk problem I believe my SPS would be the first to show symptoms, not a chalice. Also everything else in the tank looks fine..

Dont really know, I may just try moving it to a new spot and hope that the skin recession stops

HighlandReef
01/27/2011, 12:29 PM
You need to test for alk, ca, mag and sg at the very least on a regular basis.
The biggest mistake you can make is assume something is ok in this hobby without testing for it.

neuwave
01/27/2011, 12:43 PM
A lfs a while back had a similar problem and odd enough it was the alk that dropped to 4! But everything else was fine. So definitely check it.

davocean
01/27/2011, 12:49 PM
I'd at least bring water to an LFS and check alk if you are out of test kit.
I've seen things like too much rowaphos and such rob alk.
I've seen some pretty bad looking corals come back after using revive, might want to dip that, worth a shot.

jimrawr
01/27/2011, 01:40 PM
Turns out I wasnt totally out of my salifert kh test kit, I did the low resolution test which gave me .73 on the syringe, which is 8.6dkh

Ca: 380
Kh 8.6
Sg: 1.025
ph 8.1-8.4

greech
01/27/2011, 03:02 PM
Ca is a tad low but not enough to cause what you are seeing IMO. I have a chalice that was about the same distance from a scoly (scoly was a little lower as well) and my chalice did the same thing. Moved the scoly a little further away and the tissue grew back over within a couple days and has not been an issue since. Not sure if this is your cause but worth a try.