PDA

View Full Version : bristle worm trap

150mech
01/27/2011, 04:19 PM
What is the best for to put in my bristle worm trap, I took some 1/2 pvc pipe and got caps for the ends drilling a small hole in them. Now what food do I put in there to catch them

Hoolagan
01/27/2011, 05:39 PM
They will eat anything really. Put a chunk of regular old frozen shrimp in there, they cant resist.

hllywd
01/27/2011, 09:42 PM
That's why they're great scavengers to have in your tank...

Mouse
01/27/2011, 10:10 PM
I think they will just crawl back out the hole, in face only 1/4 of them will prob be in the trap. I have hers they get caught in pantyhose (unsure if it happens) maybe put the bait in loosely wadded hose inside the trap?

Megalodon
01/27/2011, 10:21 PM
That's why they're great scavengers to have in your tank...I don't think you could ever really rid your tank of them. However, if by removing some of them I wonder if that would be a good form of nutrient export.

kcress
01/28/2011, 12:35 AM
I don't think you could ever really rid your tank of them. However, if by removing some of them I wonder if that would be a good form of nutrient export.

Nah. They are sort of nutrient neutral. Eating stuff that would otherwise rot and then their waste adds to the ammonia they prevented by eating the stuff on the way to rotting. They don't mass enough to carry away a bunch of organics.

DustinB
01/28/2011, 09:01 AM
Why would you want to get rid of them? I have a couple shrimp and many bristleworms, that's my entire clean-up crew. Think about all those pellets and frozen shrimp that fall into the cracks of the rocks, the worms will get rid of it almost immediately.

Megalodon
01/28/2011, 09:13 AM
Nah. They are sort of nutrient neutral. Eating stuff that would otherwise rot and then their waste adds to the ammonia they prevented by eating the stuff on the way to rotting. They don't mass enough to carry away a bunch of organics.They contain nitrogen don't they? If they eat something before it rots and creates nitrates, some of it then becomes a part of their own biomass, which can then be exported? I dunno, I'm just wondering. The impact probably isn't enough to bother with it though. Whatever's removed would only be equal to a feeding or two. Personally I just think they're incredibly gross, and I'm phobic of them. Maybe that's why I'm gunning for them? LOL.

Johndoe0336
01/28/2011, 09:20 AM
I use a sliver side between my glass and sand bed and when they eat it at night I just scoop them out with a net. I do not try to get every last one of them I just like to thin them out. I agree they are goss but they clean and that's why I don't mind a few.

hllywd
01/28/2011, 10:25 AM
Incredibly gross? I guess that's something I never considered in light of all the other critters running around in there...
As far as exporting nutrients? I don't think so, they're not really binding the nutrients like a macro algae does.

Megalodon
01/28/2011, 12:14 PM
I can think up a number of different ways to insult them, actually.

How about horrific? LOL, I'm sorry, they just wig me out.