PDA

View Full Version : BRS RO/DI vs The Filter Guys vs Filter Direct????

Bigjav
01/27/2011, 04:29 PM
Alright, so it's time to buy a 5 stage RO/ DI system.

My buddy loves his system which is from filter. Filter Guys look great as well but I have never tried their products. Finally, I've bought many things from BRS and really like that I can purchase the refills.

BRS:

75 GPD RO/DI 5 Stage Standard System- $159.99 (vertical DI stage)

75 GPD RO/DI 5 Stage *PLUS* System- $199.99 (vertical DI stage)

Filter Guys:

OCEAN WAVE FIVE STAGE 75 GPD RO/DI- $135.00

OCEAN WAVE+ FIVE STAGE 75 GPD RO/DI-$160.00 (vertical DI stage)

Filter Direct:

RD102 AQUA REEF RO DI - $138

I read somewhere that a Vertical DI stage is best.

Thank you!!

jalloway502
01/27/2011, 04:52 PM
You are correct in that a vertical DI is best because the water doesn't start to make paths through the resin. All of these look like great ideas and I've heard good things about all the companies.

I personally bought mine from Buckeye Field Supply in Cincinnati, Ohio just because I think Russ has the absolute best customer service around.

mcgyvr
01/27/2011, 05:36 PM
http://www.airwaterice.com/product/1TYPHOON/Typhoon-5-stage-RODI-Reefkeeper-75-GPD.html (vertical DI stage and includes ASOV valve) and cheaper.. I have it and love it.

TRENT_G
01/27/2011, 05:50 PM
I bought mine from the Filter guys. Could't be happier. I have called on a few occasions and they always answer their phone and are very patient with you (newbie). Give them a call and just ask a general question, you'll see. Good Luck!

Harry_Y
01/27/2011, 06:30 PM
I bought mine from the Filter guys. Could't be happier. I have called on a few occasions and they always answer their phone and are very patient with you (newbie). Give them a call and just ask a general question, you'll see. Good Luck!

Same here Great Guys!

davocean
01/27/2011, 06:34 PM
Mines a filterguys, and I'm pretty happy w/ it, and their CS is pretty good.
If I were to buy new right now, I think I'd be looking at the spectrapure maxcap, Saw a good price on them through Marine depot recently.

Bigjav
01/27/2011, 06:36 PM
Thank you for all the replys.

Can I just add a stage ( vertical DI) to a 4 stage ro unit??

Cosmo^Kramer
12/02/2011, 11:50 AM
Bigjav,yes you can.I just did it not too long ago.I also just made 2 purchases from the filter guys and they have a customer for life.Excellent products,very fast shipping and email contact.For some reason paypal over charged me for shipping and they caught the mistake and refunded me the overcharge.I would of never noticed it.

mitch303
12/02/2011, 12:29 PM
I have the 5 stage from BRS, Very happy with it.

cassklar
12/02/2011, 12:56 PM
I got mine from the filter guys great service even explained how to hook it up very good customer service

cassklar
12/02/2011, 01:21 PM
I got mine from the filter guys great service even explained how to hook it up very good customer service

jbonez
12/02/2011, 01:23 PM
airwaterice.com i have there compact lll 75gpd i love it

jscarlata
12/02/2011, 01:25 PM
IMO most of the housings and fittings from RODI systems are the same from vendor to vendor, and FWIW, the filters are interchangeble in many cases. I wont say whihc of the 3 above i have, but i bought replacement cartridges form both BRS and the filterguys and they are the same...

thbrewst
12/02/2011, 03:21 PM
I have the BRS Plus system you mentioned and have been very happy with it, no problems. I agree though that it seems that the hardware for most of the systems is 'identical' as if it comes from the same factory.

lucas73
12/02/2011, 03:41 PM
I purchased the Ocean Reef+1 from the Filter Guys,nice unit excellent customer service.

aleonn
12/02/2011, 03:43 PM
I also have the BRS 5-stage PLUS, and am very happy with it. I always hear great things about the RO/DI units at both BRS and BFS, especially their customer service.

kellerexpress
12/03/2011, 02:11 AM
I have the BRS 5-stage plus, its very nice. I love having a pressure gauge and dual TDS meters built in. Makes it easy to tell when to change filters!

liquidplumber
12/03/2011, 07:32 AM
I have the BRS 6-Stage RODI, it has some nice features, like being able to flush the membrane, TDS meter and refillable filter cartridge.
Also compare the membrane itself, 75 gallon, 100 gallon and so on.
Hope this helps.

Reefael
12/28/2011, 07:11 PM
Im also in the market for a system. I was on the Filterguys website and notice that they sell a chloramine filter upgrade. I thought ro di units are suppose to filter this out. Can someone answer this for me? Thanks.

stevedola
12/28/2011, 09:30 PM
spectrapure is the best imo. great membranes and filters

quincy2008
12/28/2011, 09:47 PM
I have had a 5 stage from the Filter Guys for over a year. Great system.

Hal
12/29/2011, 03:09 PM
IMO most of the housings and fittings from RODI systems are the same from vendor to vendor, and FWIW, the filters are interchangeble in many cases. I wont say whihc of the 3 above i have, but i bought replacement cartridges form both BRS and the filterguys and they are the same...

+1 With the possible exception of the RO membrane, most of the other components and filters seem to be pretty much the same. I'd buy based on price and customer service, but mostly price; you shouldn't need much customer service.

jbonez
12/29/2011, 04:30 PM
what is the best di membrane in your guys opinion

jbonez
12/29/2011, 04:44 PM
heres my 5 stage system from airwaterice its a compact lll 75gpd..
http://www.airwaterice.com/product/1COMPACTTIII/Compact-III-75GPD-with-DI-Bypass-Assembly-and-TDS-Meter.html
i add a clip to have my di stage vertical
http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh67/jbonez2008/IMG_0314.jpg

jbonez
12/29/2011, 04:48 PM

My buddy loves his system which is from filter. Filter Guys look great as well but I have never tried their products. Finally, I've bought many things from BRS and really like that I can purchase the refills.

BRS:

Filter Guys:

Filter Direct:

I read somewhere that a Vertical DI stage is best.

Thank you!!

yes it is best to have a vertical di resin it will last longer.,..

Telaverus
12/29/2011, 04:59 PM
I'm curious as to how each company ships their systems out. I saw a video today of a guy unboxing his new RO/DI system and it was all setup with the filters in place. This is handy, but the problem is that you are supposed to keep the RO membrane wet.

I know the DI resin is shipped in a bag which keeps the moisture in, but the RO membrane shouldn't be allowed to dry out, which it will do if stored assembled until shipped to the customer.

savage
12/29/2011, 05:22 PM
i have the brs plus system you mentioned and have been very happy with it, no problems. I agree though that it seems that the hardware for most of the systems is 'identical' as if it comes from the same factory.

+1. Brs

TreyK
12/29/2011, 05:57 PM
I like air water ice..

screamingibis
12/29/2011, 06:00 PM
spectrapure is more $ but well worth it.

jbonez
12/29/2011, 06:01 PM
air water ice here #1 IMO

Reefael
12/29/2011, 07:27 PM
So what's with the chloramine filter from Filterguys? They show it as a filter upgrade. BRS doesn't show one for there system. I thought any ro di system could filter chloramine out. Do I need one?

Telaverus
12/30/2011, 12:00 AM
I thought any ro di system could filter chloramine out

Chloramine removal requires a longer pass through carbon. If you buy a Chloramine specific filter it is best to follow a GAC filter. This basically allows for a long pass through carbon.

The Chloramine specific cartridges utilize GAC however are wound in such a way that eliminates/minimizes fines and chanelling.

IMO if your city uses Chloramine then I would add a GAC canister followed by a Chloramine specific filter.

Buckeye Hydro
12/30/2011, 09:02 AM

BRS:

Filter Guys:

Filter Direct:

If those are the three options (we'd love to convince you otherwise!:)), then by all means, disregard your third option and go with one of the first two.

Russ

Buckeye Hydro
12/30/2011, 09:06 AM
IMO most of the housings and fittings from RODI systems are the same from vendor to vendor

Yeow! Based on about 15 years of buying, inspecting, and inhouse trials, we couldn't disagree with you more.

I think they all look similar to an untrained eye, but they are absolutely not identical in terms of quality, durability, design, and in general ways that are important in the long-term ownership of an RODI.

Russ

Buckeye Hydro
12/30/2011, 09:08 AM
I'm curious as to how each company ships their systems out. I saw a video today of a guy unboxing his new RO/DI system and it was all setup with the filters in place. This is handy, but the problem is that you are supposed to keep the RO membrane wet.

I know the DI resin is shipped in a bag which keeps the moisture in, but the RO membrane shouldn't be allowed to dry out, which it will do if stored assembled until shipped to the customer.

TFC membranes must stay wet once wetted, but in many cases they are shipped dry.

Russ

Buckeye Hydro
12/30/2011, 09:11 AM
So what's with the chloramine filter from Filterguys? They show it as a filter upgrade. BRS doesn't show one for there system. I thought any ro di system could filter chloramine out. Do I need one?

First off - Do you have chloramines in your tap water? If not, and assuming you don't have heavy sediment loads, then a 4 stage system will work fine. No need for two carbon stages.

If you do have chloramines, then yes, two carbon stages are advisable. Go with two carbon blocks, or with one block and a Catalytic GAC (not standard GAC!).

Russ

Big_Al
12/30/2011, 09:14 AM
I buy my Ro supplies from BRS and have had good results.

Craigar
12/30/2011, 09:16 AM
I have a water general rd106 and it works great for me I've had it for 2.5 years I also bought an inline TSS meter and I constantly have 0 Tds on my system.

d0ughb0y
12/30/2011, 11:51 AM
I'd just decide on a type (4 or 5 stage) and then shop around for the lowest price. its not rocket science.

Telaverus
12/30/2011, 12:15 PM
TFC membranes must stay wet once wetted, but in many cases they are shipped dry.

Russ

Thanks Russ. How do you ship your assemblies? Do you have them preassembled then ship when ordered? How long are the DI cartridges exposed to air prior to and during shipping typically?

Telaverus
12/30/2011, 12:20 PM
If those are the three options (we'd love to convince you otherwise!:)), then by all means, disregard your third option and go with one of the first two.

Russ

Agree, but Bigjav, why isn't BFS on your list of options? You order one of these and they come with Russ. I don't see anyone else offering the support he does in all honesty.

Buckeye Hydro
12/30/2011, 12:46 PM
If lowest price is your goal, then ebay is your target. Lots of poorly configured systems using the cheapest parts possible available for you there!

Buckeye Hydro
12/30/2011, 12:53 PM
Thanks Russ. How do you ship your assemblies? Do you have them preassembled then ship when ordered? How long are the DI cartridges exposed to air prior to and during shipping typically?

The housings, tubing, etc are pre assembed - we typically try to keep 20 or so on the shelf all the time. DI resin cartridges and refills are packed frequently, and packaged in special vapor barrier material so no gas exchange can occur. Most of our membranes are dry. The membrane, DI cartridge, and other odds and ends are packaged inside a smaller box - we don't like to ship with all the filters already installed because many of the filters need to be flushed with first use, and you don't want that flush water going into another filter. Some vendors ship with all filters installed - but then you are going to flush crud from one filter into the next filter, and your DI cart will be exposed to air for the length of time you have the DI cart installed prior to use.

Russ

Telaverus
12/30/2011, 01:13 PM
The housings, tubing, etc are pre assembed - we typically try to keep 20 or so on the shelf all the time. DI resin cartridges and refills are packed frequently, and packaged in special vapor barrier material so no gas exchange can occur. Most of our membranes are dry. The membrane, DI cartridge, and other odds and ends are packaged inside a smaller box - we don't like to ship with all the filters already installed because many of the filters need to be flushed with first use, and you don't want that flush water going into another filter. Some vendors ship with all filters installed - but then you are going to flush crud from one filter into the next filter, and your DI cart will be exposed to air for the length of time you have the DI cart installed prior to use.

Russ

To the OP, this ^^ is why you should order from Russ at BFS IMO.

d0ughb0y
12/30/2011, 03:41 PM
when you shop around, do include ebay and amazon. I have used ebay one and it works just fine. I have no vested interest here. I always thought sponsors are only allowed to post in their own forums, that's why you will never see BRS or Tunze or Marine Depot folks posting outside their own forum.

Landsailor
12/30/2011, 04:58 PM
I bought a Bulk Reef Supply add-on DI cartridge because it was in stock at a LFS for $5 more than online from them. Previously, I spoke with someone at BRS when I was trying to get up to speed on how DI resin is used in reef keeping (I previously used it in a laser cooling system) and to confirm the problems I was having with an RO system I bought at a thrift store. He was more than happy to help.

Comparing their prices to piecing it together from one of my former wholesalers, they provide an excellent value, too. For example, my cost on the filter housing would be $10.75 (single piece qty, obviously), so I'm quite impressed with BRS and very happy to give them their very reasonable margin.

Thumbs up to Bulk Reef Supply!

Telaverus
12/30/2011, 04:58 PM
when you shop around, do include ebay and amazon. I have used ebay one and it works just fine. I have no vested interest here. I always thought sponsors are only allowed to post in their own forums, that's why you will never see BRS or Tunze or Marine Depot folks posting outside their own forum.

Russ has answered a lot of questions for people, even helping them with systems from other suppliers. I have no vested interest either and wouldn't want to see Russ silenced because he is a sponsor. His presence is invaluable IMO.

I wouldn't buy a system from eBay, that's just me. I find it strange how people in this hobby choose to save and skimp on, in my opinion, the wrong things.

The number one thing in this hobby is water, thus the quality of the source should warrant the most of our attention. It's surprising that most don't blink at spending $1000 on a light fixture but balk and skimp on their source water quality. It doesn't take much to get the best RO/DI setup.

To the OP, you have Russ' attention here, I'm sure he would like you to consider his products, but as he has already demonstrated, he will give you advice even if you aren't buying from him. Rest assured, if you don't go with his stuff, he'll still be here on RC ready to help you when your system fails in some way, or if you have a question about wheather your failing water quality could be from your system.

I wish I had his experience to draw on when I was first setting up my system as it would have saved me a lot of time and money.

keifer_unit
12/30/2011, 06:09 PM
I have the BRS 5 stage plus. Im very happy with it, never had any problems.

caliking
12/30/2011, 06:31 PM
I have owned both filters and was lucky enough to switch over to a Vertex Puratek RO/DI.
It self flushes the Ro membrane and gives accurate TDS readings. Best RO/DI i have ever owned.

http://www.vertexaquaristik.com/Products/WaterPurificationSystems/RODISystems/DeluxePuratek100RODI.aspx

Never skimp on the RO/DI system, It is the heart of the entire reef system; Poor water quality equals problems.

I do use BRS replacement filters, RO membrane, and DI resin. Although I find the color changing DI resin from BRS turns brown rather quickly compared to the orginal resin from Vertex.

danreefman
12/31/2011, 02:12 AM

Russ

This is how I saw Russ come into the thread. He didn't say go with me.

And I use BRS 6 stage great product

waynebrown
12/31/2011, 06:51 AM
I did the ebay route, and have since upgraded everything except the canister mounts with BFS and BRS parts. In retrospect; I wish I'd gone and spent the extra $20-ish and saved a lot of headaches.
IMHO; BFS and BRS are the only players, they are small enough to take care of you, and large enough to turn over stock before it ages and degrades.

Buckeye Hydro
12/31/2011, 11:43 AM
Bigjav - Here are some things to look for in a good system for this hobby:

No more than 4 stages (sediment, carbon, RO, DI) unless you have specific water quality issues you need to address
Standard-sized prefilters, membrane, and DI cartridge
Brand name, high-rejection membrane
Specifications provided for each stage
Pressure gauge after the prefilters and before the membrane
Thermometer
TDS meter (handheld or in-line)
DI bypass
Vertical DI stage
Refillable DI cartridge
Aluminum bracket
Quick connect fittings
No water from pressurized storage container delivered to DI
Flush valve
Clear housings
High-quality instructions written in clear English (by someone who speaks English!)
Customer support before, during, and after your purchase
A vendor involved in your hobby

Russ

tankmates
12/31/2011, 11:57 AM
I got one from filter direct, but I agree that vertical DI resin is better. I then changed my DI with one housing from BRS and now it lasts a lot longer.

wrimda
12/31/2011, 01:43 PM
No question about it! The filter guy's We used to be on a well system and was given answers to all my questions and sold us R/O system and it worked well as discribed. We then moved to a city water system miles away so I called Jim and again answered all my questions and after a few tests of our new water he thought we now needed D/I setup.
The filter Guy's never sold us anything we did not need, and all questions will be answered! For this reason we will be lifelong customers!

Humuhumunuku
01/19/2012, 05:35 PM
Bought a Kent one from drsfosterandsmith 6 years ago, and have been compleately dissapointed in it. Only puts out 35pgd and I've been foolish enough to pay almost 100bucks for the replacement membranes. I'm goint to change out the membrane and flow restrictor for a 75gpd membrane from brs or bfs, along with a third pre filter now that my city is using chloramine.

Essencereef
01/19/2012, 05:47 PM
I like Spectrapure personally :) they have discounted their products recently making them very affordable. As far as customer service, I have always been taken care of!

cmbspd
01/21/2012, 11:04 AM
I had a Coralife system..until this morning when the carbon block housing blew apart. At least for a cheap system like this, the plastic housing is clearly thinner and less durable than those on my BRS reactors.