PDA

View Full Version : Auto heat/cool options. Need assistance please

JCR's Reef
01/27/2011, 10:14 PM
I really haven't thought this all the way through so please try to bear with me. I am planning on building a small enclosed room (10' L x 3' W x 8 ' H) out in my garage for my sump/filtration equipment. This filtration room will be plumbed directly into my main DT in the house.
My question is, what is the best method, and cheapest way others have found to heat their garage (20x24) during the winter months? I was thinking about an Infrared heater but would like to hear some other options. Should I heat the whole garage or should I just vent the heat into the enclosure and have a thermostat hooked up to the heater?

Any and all advise would be appreciate, as well as other things that I need to think about. Not real concerned with humidity since its in a garage and there are several ways I can take care of that. Thanks

kcress
01/28/2011, 12:43 AM
My suggestion would be to make the Equipment Space just big enough for the equipment. When you want access you open some sort of doors and reach in. Insulate this space with serious insulation. Don't heat it at all and certainly don't heat your garage!! That could easily be a couple of hundred bucks a month better spent on your tank. You'll need a little more heat available for your tank. Keep in mind the possibility of needing to put a fan forced air outlet leading from the Space to outside if humidity is an issue.

Also set your tanks on insulation and wrap the sides, if you can, with the same board insulation.