PDA

View Full Version : I have lost 3 turbo snails in 2 weeks. what gives?

hpi_jeep
01/28/2011, 03:22 PM
everything in my tank looks good. i have lost 3 turbo snails though. it seems to me they are gettin stuck in rocks? or they just go to a really inconvenient spot to die.
what type of things can i check to try and isolate this problem?
my tank is sqeeky clean of green algea. does that mean they just got hungry? :D

hpi_jeep
01/28/2011, 03:25 PM
every other day i check salinity, nitrate, nitrite, ammonia, ph, gk, and for about a week i have been testing potasium and calcium. everything is in really good params except my calcium it is about 230 according to the very hard to read test kit i have.

hpi_jeep
01/28/2011, 03:32 PM
every other day i check salinity, nitrate, nitrite, ammonia, ph, gk, and for about a week i have been testing potasium and calcium. everything is in really good params except my calcium it is about 230 according to the very hard to read test kit i have.

RedM3
01/28/2011, 03:36 PM
I can hardly keep some of my turbos and astraea's alive, and I am fighting algae as we speak. I also have my parameters at the recommended levels. My nassarius and bumble bees are great though. I'll be interested to see what advice people give you.

gweston
01/28/2011, 03:43 PM
If your calcium is low, that could affect your PH stability(?). PH is ok between 8.0-8.4 for the most part. Most important is PH stability. Big swings can be bad in general.

I'd test calcium (~400-450ppm), magnesium(~1350ppm), and alkalinity (~9-10dkh) levels and try to get them balanced. Snails and inverts do use calcium and nutrients from the water.

If the tank is too clean, maybe they aren't finding enough food (algae)? You could try supplemental feeding. Pick up some nori (dried seaweed) at an asian store. Get the plain stuff without additives (soy sauce, flavorings, etc). Tie to a small rock with a rubber band and put in tank, or use a feeding clip.

Also consider the possibility of a predator in the tank. If you find another dead one, see if it is eaten, torn up, etc.

Tahoe Reefer
01/28/2011, 03:45 PM
maybe some heavy metals or a predator. Are u running carbon or skimmer?
How many turbos and how much live rock, size of tank? They could be hungry if there are too many. I've got 2 or 3 in my 80 they really are turbo, they do a great job.

con999
01/28/2011, 03:45 PM
we need ur prems not just everything looks good. also how old is the tank was used, did i have copper in it

deangelr
01/28/2011, 03:48 PM
Im curious about this also.. I have 1 in my 60 gallon.. But IME over the years turbo snails have been difficult to keep alive.. I honestly thought they just kept getting knocked over on the side and couldt upright themselves.. but i really dont know

hpi_jeep
01/28/2011, 04:26 PM
i said potasium and meant phosphates. im guilty about typing while carrying on phone conversations.

gweston my ph seems to test between 7.8-8.0 it is very constant. even after a water change. i have read that is not prefered but it's not abnormal.
I dont have a magnesium or alk test kit.
i have looked at all 3 corpse and none of them looked like they were eaten. they were all 3 on there "feet" not upside down or anything.

Tahoe Reefer. i have a protein skimmer and i am running GFO media in a bag (no reactor yet) 6 turbo's(now 3) 30gal tank about 25-30lbs of live rock and 15-20lbs of lace rock.

con999 i just tested params and here are the results for today.
ammonia 0
ph 7.8 (this is on a test kit where i drop liquid into a vial. the test strip shows about 8.2)
nitrite 0
nitrate 10 (on "drip kit test) vague between 0-20 on test strip
phosphates 0
calcium 160 (test is stupid hard to use IMO) too much room for confusion
KH (on test strip 240)
salinity ~31 specific gravity 1.023
Tank was used but it was used as a FOWLR tank. no fresh water from day 1

Cuervo
01/28/2011, 09:07 PM
How long had the snails been in the tank, maybe it was an acclimation thing - they just didn't survive the trip from the real reef all the way to your tank?

T-dub
01/28/2011, 09:40 PM
Turbos are notorious for wedging themselves into places that they can't get out of and dieing.

jdthomas24
01/29/2011, 07:31 AM
Im curious about this also.. I have 1 in my 60 gallon.. But IME over the years turbo snails have been difficult to keep alive.. I honestly thought they just kept getting knocked over on the side and couldt upright themselves.. but i really dont know

This is a common issue. When they can not right themselves they stay there and die. You need to check on them daily and flip them back over when they are upside down. Its a pain but they are not very smart and will lay there and die.

GQJake81
01/29/2011, 08:45 AM
i've had troubles with astrea snails getting stuck. but my lone turbo, must be a genius. he was the first thing i put in the tank. and he's been alive for almost a year now.

now that i post this i will come back to find him stuck and dead....

bluezx636
01/29/2011, 10:04 AM
I would say you have to many I made the same mistake with adding 2 to my 46 gallon and almost running out of algae in less then 2 weeks.I now feed them dried sea weed 2x a week and also whats your temp i have heard they don't do well in temps 80 and up

brian15876
01/29/2011, 11:13 AM
same as other i have trouble keeping these things as well they just seem to disappear over time

N-dog
01/30/2011, 12:32 AM
I have heard some turbos can come from colder water and don't like warmer temps. Could be wrong though.